colt 1911 army 1917

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by snafu68, Feb 3, 2007.

1. snafu68

snafu68 New Member

I have a 1911 Colt that dates 1917 WWI issue to a Col. in WWI who became a 2 star general in WWII. I have been selling off a big collection from this General. This Colt is one of my last items and is about 65%. It should be worth about $600.00-$650.00, but with the historical significance and a letter from the widow that certifies this was the Generals sidearm and pictures of him shooting it. I am needing some advice on what I should ask for this item. This Colt has the original 45 military book that came with it, 3 clips, original cleaning rod, leather lanard(?) that attaches to the grip, and 2 boxes of military issue ammo. If anyone has an idea of what this item would be worth I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,

Scott
  2. Goody

Goody Member

It will depend on who the general is or was. How significant a player was he? If his name was Eisenhauer it's one thing, but just your garden variety general really wouldn't mean much as far as value goes. Hopefully you have some sort of documentation from the government that this gun was issued to this man. If it truly is worth something you would probably do better to consign it to an auction house. They will put it into an auction featuring other things that would draw the same type buyers.
  3. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Condition, condition......originality. A really good picture would help, but first hand inspection would be best. If the General, or someone else has bubbed up the gun it's just another old worn shooter. If, by chance, no one has messed with it, and all parts are original it would bring more than the $650.

Tell you what.........send it to me and I'll send you what I think it's worth! Ha!
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi snafu........welcome to TFF. :)

I'd suggest you get as much info on this firearm as possible.

The letter from his widow is a fine addition to establishing the provenance of this firearm.

You want to establish:

Did he carry this pistol in combat in WWI and/or WWII?

What were his duty postings during both wars?

Try looking up his name & rank in Google.....you may come up with something interesting that his widow forgot.

Document everying about the General and this gun that you can find out, write it down, and have his widow sign it. Provenance (everything you can learn and document about the gun and the person who owned it) may add greatly to the $$$$$$ value of the firearm.

If the General was well known, or took part in any famous operations, it could be far more valuable than you think.

BTW, a rather beat-up M1911 that was carried by the navigator of the B-29"Enola Gay" (that dropped the first Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima) recently sold for $23,000.....

......now I'm not saying your gun is worth that, or even close to that, but the provenance of a firearm can add greatly to the value, so, if I were you, I sure wouldn't sell it until you learn all that you can.
  5. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Like this one from a deceased Lt Col, Ret estate. A glider pilot.

Attached Files:

6. Danny

Danny Member

Any 1911A1 that is in desent shape should fetch you 1500 or even more.I have 2 1911,s and 2 1911A1,s.I would not take less than 2 grand for one of my WW2 pistols.Do not go by the blue book,thats how many a collector or common widow gets the big rip off.Go to forums and look and ask questions.Its a doggie eat dog world out there,and a lot of people are waiting in the lime light for you to drop your soap.:eek:
    Kind Regards
    Danny
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Sounds like you were in the Navy, Danny..... :D :D :D
  8. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Here are two you can add to your collection, offered by one of the better know collectors and a contributor to Clawson's latest book. One is not a WWII gun, but a early post war colt. Note that the reserve has not been broken on either auction. Note the condition of both guns. If either had wear the bids, and reserve, would be much lower. If I didn't already have an exceptional 1942 early war production Colt I'd........

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=7856314
    http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=7850416

I don't know what the "Blue Book" is but the "Standard Catalog of Military Firearms, the collector's price and reference guide" is a good place to consult before buying.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2007