Colt 1911 Series 80?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Kevin11, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Hi all,
    Looking for my first automatic pistol and have my heart and eyes set on a 1911. Came across a used Series 80 and was wondering what I should know or be concerned about? What would be a fair price?

In the mean time I'll continue searching the site for more info.

Thanks a bunch,
    -Kevin
  2. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Okay, so another question.
    Go for the 600 on the used Colt or...
    800 for a new Springfield?(Mil-Spec I believe it was)

-Kevin
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Go for the Colt. Some people don't care for the series 80 Colts due to the drop safety affecting the trigger pull. A slot filler and removing the offending parts will remedy the problem. :)
  4. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Thanks Shooter, I had been reading up on the FPS situation.
    While I was at the gun shop I tried on the Glocks and the feel is nowhere near how the 1911 feels, it was love at first touch. The question then became budget and how much ‘Smithing’ I’d need to do to get a reliable shooter. I can hear the Wife in my head saying get the Ruger for 350, but I don’t want a Ruger dear. She just doesn't understand the draw of the Colt 1911. :cool:

-Kevin
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  5. Shooter45

Read " 1911 Reliability Secrets" at the top of the forum.

Most likely, the series 80 won't need any work except for a couple of spring changes and a couple of good mags. The Springfield is a very good 1911 but the Colt seems to be a better deal.

Let us know when you make your purchase and don't forget a range report. :)
  6. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Okay I bit the bullet and purchased the Colt! :D
    Had the Colt, Glock and Ruger laid out on the counter and after much
    discussion bought the Colt. Won't be able to bring her home until Tuesday though. :(

Anyway, it is a M1991A1 and I've been trying to find a site I can look up the serial number, any idea's? ...or do I have to call Colt directly?

Thanks,
    -Kevin
  7. Shooter45

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think to have to contact Colt for any info. They will bill your credit card. :(

Congrats on your purchase feed it well and often and don't forget a range report.
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Kevin, be aware, that while removing certain pleces, or replacing them, in the safety system of the pistol, might afford you a lighter trigger, at the expense of much greater legal exposure, down the road, if somebody is ever shot with the weapon, and it comes back to you.
    My current Officer's Model, the last of six, but the first I got to keep, will not lift three pounds, with the trigger, nor would the five, before it.
    Colt should retake High School Geometry, and make it a mandatory thing, for their staff.
    If the geometry,and lubrication, of the 'series 80' additions are right, the trigger can be as sweet as ever it was; and accuracy will not suffer; my 'retuned' OM will put seven in 3" at 50 yds, or into a ragged hole, at 15; more than adequate accuracy, for a fixed sight, concealed carry pistol.
    The firing pin safety is insurance, for the owner, and maker, over accidental discharge (ie, "I dropped my gun, and it shot me in the butt") kinda lawsuits, but if ever the arm had one, it is a significant liability, to you, that it is not still there, should the weapon ever be involved in a shooting.
    A reliable, consistant three pound trigger is more than defensive use requires; many target guns require more effort, this is possible, and has been done, with the little, series 80, 'handicapped' pistols for years, with little effort, if your 'guy' knows the gun.
  9. Shooter45

Stash, I've been hearing that for years but I have never heard of it actually happening. I don't know where that stuff comes from except maybe a gunwriter with a new idea. :) If that were the case,everytime someone was shot with a dropped weapon, there would be a law suit. As you well know, none of the older 1911's had the system and ?????? :D
  10. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

a call to Colt wil give you the MFG date. I bought mine new in 1997.

Don't worry about the series 80 parts, some people just like to have something to complain about.....:p

[​IMG]
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

shooter,I've never heard of such, either, in old or new pistols, and the 1911 has been around for a while, but my comment was from the advise of my attorney, who has tried such cases of operator error.
  12. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Nice Colt there AD, I'll be sure to post up a pic as soon as I have her home.
    That's what ya get for buying late on Sunday that is followed by a Holiday. ;)

-Kevin

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  13. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Here she is...looks like I won't be able to get to the range for a couple of weeks, but I'll give a full report when I do.

[​IMG]

-Kevin
  14. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

Nice! I forgot What mine used to look like!
  15. Shooter45

I had it's twin several years ago. After extensive work, the pistol was sold after it's 1st IPSC match to a fellow competitor. He still has it. :)
  16. stash247

stash247 New Member

Shooter, to take up the slack, in this thread, a 'target pistol', with a 'hair trigger' offers a prosecuting attorney way too much rope; that was my point.
    Understand, I have three very good dogs, none of whom really like anybody but me; they are stock dogs, properly, Australian Cattle Dogs, with their sole purpose in life to keep me safe. and move stock, efficiently.
    They were bred and raised in the armpit of the world, as a breed, so, tolerate conditions in South Texas, like they were on vacation, no big deal.
    But, their purpose in life is to move stock. Any port in a storm, right?
    If I just shoot some bastard, because he needs shooting, we will argue ,in court, for many years, over whether it was appropriate; not a cheap or good scene, and made worse, by alterations, from production specs, of the weapon I shot him with, an inane, but legally viable argument, totally aside from the real issue, of whether he needed shooting, or not, but an issue, just the same.
    If I simply open the door, and let the dogs out, I need not say a word; they WILL sort things out, and rapidly, without any further input.
    Day or night, good weather or bad, they know their turf, and their master, and will defend them, to their death.
    I think this is a far more 'winnable' situation, than a shooting, and way more 'educational' for the object of their attention; so I trust them, first.
    If push comes to shove, yes, I will intercede, to protect them, and with deadly force, if required, but this has been a 'non issue' to date, as they are quite competent, on their own
    Remember, these are dogs that I employ to move mean stock, often weighing over a ton, animals that will climb a stepladder, to catch a frisbee, in play.
    That seems to speak for itself.
  17. williamd

williamd New Member

Have series 70s and series 80s. Polished (stoned) the parts in both series and the difference is not noticable to me. Saw quite a bit of quality difference in the internals - these are all Colts. One series 80 pistol had some edges on the internal trigger safety levers but they stoned off easily.

I am not sure what a gun owner can do that does not put him/her on the legal edge. Even changing grips can make a gun handle differently from "factory intentions" according to one prosecutor I read!!! Another said the only reaosn an owner added Trijicon sights was to be able to shoot people at night. The world is full of idiots who will do anything for a buck ... probably with a grant from the anti's. Especially in CA!!
  18. stash247

stash247 New Member

Williamd:
    If an 'expert witness' finds safety related parts missing, in a weapon involed in an otherwise 'good', shooting, the usual reaction is to paint the shooter as either a predator, 'looking for a fight', with his 'Highly modified Race Gun', a fool, with no regard for safety, or both.
    I have no problem with 'fixing' the gun; trigger pull is all about geometry, in a 1911, and the early series 80 pistols sometimes had it all screwed up.
    Fix the problem, with a stone, and a Jig, and the change could well have been done at Colt; I have heard it disputed, several times, but there was no way to prove it.
    In truth, some of the early series 80 pistols would damned near lift an anvil, before the trigger broke; Colt was then very spotty in QC, and nearly went under, because of it.
    Today, I think you will find a much better product being produced, with un molested triggers in the 5-6 pound range.
    I would attempt to 'Talk, walk, or run', as a first effort at 'dispute resolution'; this shows all a peaceful intent.
    At the point that becomes impossible, my lawyer says a 'wrongful death' lawsuit is usually cheaper to settle, than one for disability, pain and suffering, and a quest for lifetime financial support. I agree, entirely.
    Which means a single story, rather than an arguement, in court, is preferable.
    You may draw your own conclusions, here, as you see fit, but everything I carry is capable, in my hands, of 3" or less, at 25 yds, about half the size of the human braincase.
    Wanna guess the point of aim?
    I want to live out my life, quietly, peacefully, and as close to invisible, as I can be.
    But am reminded of some old latin quote, about 'If you seek peace, prepare for war'; just because I can does not in any way imply that I want to, or will, do a thing, but the inability to do it locks all of those out!
  19. ElrodCod

ElrodCod New Member

I've got the same model in the commander size & I'm picking up the compact version tomorrow:D. They're not as pretty as the new polished ones but IMO they're better guns.
  20. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Had a 1991 back when I lived in Phx in the 80's-90"s.
    From what I remember it was a very servicable pistol.

Took the family to the movies and the back door got kicked in and the steel gun cabinet had been carried out and carted away.

Lost the 45, a ruger MK1, an M1 Garand, and a 22 and a Higgins 12 G shotgun.

I did get the Ruger back after it was confiscated by Phx Police. Had to have it fixed because of "ignorant thief" abuse.

All of the weapons except the Colt I had inherited from my dad shortly before the theft.