Colt 1911 Series 80?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Kevin11, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Hi all,
    Looking for my first automatic pistol and have my heart and eyes set on a 1911. Came across a used Series 80 and was wondering what I should know or be concerned about? What would be a fair price?

In the mean time I'll continue searching the site for more info.

Thanks a bunch,
    -Kevin
  2. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Okay, so another question.
    Go for the 600 on the used Colt or...
    800 for a new Springfield?(Mil-Spec I believe it was)

-Kevin
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Go for the Colt. Some people don't care for the series 80 Colts due to the drop safety affecting the trigger pull. A slot filler and removing the offending parts will remedy the problem. :)
  4. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Thanks Shooter, I had been reading up on the FPS situation.
    While I was at the gun shop I tried on the Glocks and the feel is nowhere near how the 1911 feels, it was love at first touch. The question then became budget and how much ‘Smithing’ I’d need to do to get a reliable shooter. I can hear the Wife in my head saying get the Ruger for 350, but I don’t want a Ruger dear. She just doesn't understand the draw of the Colt 1911. :cool:

-Kevin
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  5. Shooter45

Read " 1911 Reliability Secrets" at the top of the forum.

Most likely, the series 80 won't need any work except for a couple of spring changes and a couple of good mags. The Springfield is a very good 1911 but the Colt seems to be a better deal.

Let us know when you make your purchase and don't forget a range report. :)
  6. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Okay I bit the bullet and purchased the Colt! :D
    Had the Colt, Glock and Ruger laid out on the counter and after much
    discussion bought the Colt. Won't be able to bring her home until Tuesday though. :(

Anyway, it is a M1991A1 and I've been trying to find a site I can look up the serial number, any idea's? ...or do I have to call Colt directly?

Thanks,
    -Kevin
  7. Shooter45

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think to have to contact Colt for any info. They will bill your credit card. :(

Congrats on your purchase feed it well and often and don't forget a range report.
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Kevin, be aware, that while removing certain pleces, or replacing them, in the safety system of the pistol, might afford you a lighter trigger, at the expense of much greater legal exposure, down the road, if somebody is ever shot with the weapon, and it comes back to you.
    My current Officer's Model, the last of six, but the first I got to keep, will not lift three pounds, with the trigger, nor would the five, before it.
    Colt should retake High School Geometry, and make it a mandatory thing, for their staff.
    If the geometry,and lubrication, of the 'series 80' additions are right, the trigger can be as sweet as ever it was; and accuracy will not suffer; my 'retuned' OM will put seven in 3" at 50 yds, or into a ragged hole, at 15; more than adequate accuracy, for a fixed sight, concealed carry pistol.
    The firing pin safety is insurance, for the owner, and maker, over accidental discharge (ie, "I dropped my gun, and it shot me in the butt") kinda lawsuits, but if ever the arm had one, it is a significant liability, to you, that it is not still there, should the weapon ever be involved in a shooting.
    A reliable, consistant three pound trigger is more than defensive use requires; many target guns require more effort, this is possible, and has been done, with the little, series 80, 'handicapped' pistols for years, with little effort, if your 'guy' knows the gun.
  9. Shooter45

Stash, I've been hearing that for years but I have never heard of it actually happening. I don't know where that stuff comes from except maybe a gunwriter with a new idea. :) If that were the case,everytime someone was shot with a dropped weapon, there would be a law suit. As you well know, none of the older 1911's had the system and ?????? :D
  10. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

a call to Colt wil give you the MFG date. I bought mine new in 1997.

Don't worry about the series 80 parts, some people just like to have something to complain about.....:p

[​IMG]
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

shooter,I've never heard of such, either, in old or new pistols, and the 1911 has been around for a while, but my comment was from the advise of my attorney, who has tried such cases of operator error.
  12. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Nice Colt there AD, I'll be sure to post up a pic as soon as I have her home.
    That's what ya get for buying late on Sunday that is followed by a Holiday. ;)

-Kevin

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  13. Kevin11

Kevin11 New Member

Here she is...looks like I won't be able to get to the range for a couple of weeks, but I'll give a full report when I do.

[​IMG]

-Kevin
  14. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

Nice! I forgot What mine used to look like!
  15. Shooter45

I had it's twin several years ago. After extensive work, the pistol was sold after it's 1st IPSC match to a fellow competitor. He still has it. :)