colt 1911

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bamajvc, May 13, 2012.

1. bamajvc

bamajvc New Member

I know this pic is terrible but its the best one on the auction site. This auction is about 75 miles from me so can anyone make out what type of colt this is and what is is worth? The have the serial listed as 146785

Attached Files:

2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

It is a model 1911 military model made in mid 1917 by Colt.

It appears to have been re-blued, rather crudely with a lot of metal removed by buffing, likely to remove rust.

The grips are late commercial aftermarket. I have no way of knowing if the magazine is original, but likely not. The same is true of the barrel , hammer, and other parts.

Basically, I am looking at a well worn shooter and not a WW I vintage pistol of interest to a collector. In today's market, personally, I would give $200, probably $350, but would start losing interest quickly afterwards.

Hope that this helps.
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

The picture is not really good enough to say. It is a 1911 style pistol, instead of the later 1911A1, so it is quite old - I would think that serial number makes it pre-1917.

The picture makes it look heavily buffed and reblued, but that is just my opinion. If that is so, it has little or no collector's value - just value as a shooter. I know people ask a lot for Colt 45 automatics in any condition, but I don't know what they actually get.

BTW, there is a subforum here specifically for the Colt 1911 - you might want to ask there, and put in a link to this thread.
  4. bamajvc

bamajvc New Member

thanks guys
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I would lose interest a lot sooner; in fact I would not be interested at all. With a gun that has been abused as badly as that one, I would not even count on finding any good parts.

Jim
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Relative to posts #3 & #5:

Military 1911 serial numbers 137401 to 151186, assigned to Colt for 1917 per Fjestdad's "B.B. of Gun Values", serialization section, which has become the defacto "Bible" for gun buyers/collectors/ sellers. The same serialization info is found in R L Wilson's book(s). Also, on the Internet: https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/Firearm/Serialize.pdf

I agree with Jim K that this gun appears to be in rough shape, and would be of no interest to me as a keeper. Still, with CDNN quickly selling out of modern (and likely investment cast and MIM) Turkish 1911-A1 copies at $350.00 plus shipping of about $30.00; this old gun made of forged and selectively hardened steel will likely fetch over $350.00 at auction.
  7. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

I misread the number, and thought it was in the 14,000 block, not 146,000. Dang!
  8. texasleaguer

texasleaguer New Member

9. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

I own one, a real one, and I wouldnt give much more than a 100 for this one. Id rather spend the money on a aftermarket one that hasn't got inflation all over it
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The slide would go for more than that.
  11. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

that thing looks like it was dipped in tar. and it needed refinished to this extent why? just saying, the gun is probably as worn as the old finish was. a shooter it may be, but for how much longer. parts? I wouldn't want any of that gun to get on mine. that thing has cooties. and i mean no offence by that. its a shame to see it in such shape.
  12. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Here, I adjusted the pic a bit for clarity.

Attached Files:

13. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

compared to....... I just dont see putting them parts on this gun. And I think mines in sore shape

Attached Files:

14. texasleaguer

texasleaguer New Member

why the wrong main spring housing?
  15. texasleaguer

texasleaguer New Member

Theres no such thing as inflation on a Colt. You never pay to much...you just bought too early.

And as far as buying a clone goes, why buy the rest when the best is available.

And I agree with you. I would like to give a 100 for it too. I'd be getting a heck of a good deal.
  16. Jim K

Jim K New Member

OK, you folks have set some fancy prices for that gun (Post 1). Here is my problem. That gun has been heavily buffed and reblued and has new grips. Why?

When I see a gun like that, my first reaction is that it is not a collectible. So what? It might be a good shooter. BUT why was it buffed or wirewheeled so heavily? Just rust? I think the answer is fire, which is why the grips did not survive. If that gun was in a fire, even a soft slide will not be improved any. Further, all the springs and internal heat treated parts would be ruined. They might have been replaced, but I don't know that.

So I would not take the view that "it is a COLT" and therefore worth a lot of money, or that "the slide is worth lots of money". Really? For a ground down slide with the markings almost obliterated?

Maybe I err on the side of caution. Maybe that gun was owned by John Browning and is worth a million dollars. Maybe many things, but to me it is an ordinary M1911 in poor condition with lots of unknowns.

Jim
  17. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

whats wrong with it? its not the original barrel either, but I have it. just in 2 pieces

couldnt of said it better Jim K. theres a reason for every thing
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  18. bamajvc

bamajvc New Member

19. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Thanks for the link. Too bad that I am not an AL resident. Long time to auction end, but item 1014 is likely a steal at under $120.00.