colt 1911

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bamajvc, May 13, 2012.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

OK, you folks have set some fancy prices for that gun (Post 1). Here is my problem. That gun has been heavily buffed and reblued and has new grips. Why?

When I see a gun like that, my first reaction is that it is not a collectible. So what? It might be a good shooter. BUT why was it buffed or wirewheeled so heavily? Just rust? I think the answer is fire, which is why the grips did not survive. If that gun was in a fire, even a soft slide will not be improved any. Further, all the springs and internal heat treated parts would be ruined. They might have been replaced, but I don't know that.

So I would not take the view that "it is a COLT" and therefore worth a lot of money, or that "the slide is worth lots of money". Really? For a ground down slide with the markings almost obliterated?

Maybe I err on the side of caution. Maybe that gun was owned by John Browning and is worth a million dollars. Maybe many things, but to me it is an ordinary M1911 in poor condition with lots of unknowns.

Jim
  2. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

whats wrong with it? its not the original barrel either, but I have it. just in 2 pieces

couldnt of said it better Jim K. theres a reason for every thing
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  3. bamajvc

bamajvc New Member

4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Thanks for the link. Too bad that I am not an AL resident. Long time to auction end, but item 1014 is likely a steal at under $120.00.