Colt 1911

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hstout1143, Oct 28, 2012.

1. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I have 2 colt 1911's. The first was manufactured in 1918, the second in 1941. They are both shooters. I'm looking to change the beavertail safeties and or the hammers so I won't get pinched when shooting them. My question is do I have to change both the hammer and safety, or can I just change one or the other?
  2. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I have a 1911 shooter made in 1913 , I am confused how you pinch your self shooting this firearm :confused:.

Changing something on an old 1911 would take a huge amount of thought and probably still wouldn't do it.

Sorry poor reply on my part
  3. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I have large hands, when the slide comes back after a shot and cocks the hammer, the webbing between my thumb and index finger gets pinched between the hammer and safety. A larger beavertail or smaller hammer will stop that from happening.
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I got the 1911 out to see how this could be , you must have really big hands but I can see what you mean a larger beaver tail will prevent that pinch point, I d still be weary of changing a piece of history these old guns are something extra special, sorry I don't have a good answer for your question...
  5. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Every Llama "1911" i shoot does the same to me (????) No problem with others tho-I have pretty big hands-
    Anyway-
    I file a small amount off the hammer spur to correct ( does not take much-not really even noticeable)
    You might just get a GI style aftermarket hammer & shorten it a bit-Touch it up with cold blue--Keep the original!
    I'd try that before adding those type parts to either of those two-:(
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  6. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

Hammer and beaver tail will do it, leave the safety alone. Also, keep the original parts so you can put it back to the original way it was later.
  7. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Well, before you run out & buy a beavertail GS be aware you will have to butcher the frame to fit it :(
    Wilson i believe makes one that fits the GI without cutting the frame but i've never tryed one--