Colt 1991 (A1), is it a good gun or just a 1911 80 years later?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I was thinking about a .45 pistol as my next gun (if I don't like how my Mak handles) and noticed the Colt 1991. Under $700 and looks kinda like the 1911, but I need feedback.
  2. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

Newer Colts are very bad ideas. My uncle bought a brand new Colt and on the first range date decided he hated it. At 25 feet the gun was shooting 1-2 inches too low! He emptied an entire magazine at it and only one hit the target, the first 7 were aimed where it should be and the last one (the on the actually hit), he aimed a good bit above the targer and the bullet hit the paper. He tightened the slide, did overal maintenance, and purchased a match barrel. Now it shoots decent, but for the money he spent he could have probably gotten a Strayer-Voigt Infinity!
  3. berto64

berto64 Active Member

The series 80 1991's were built while Colt was suffering from QC problems and it's not the best production pistol they made.

I owned one after they first came out and was not impressed. Brand new 1911's aren't supposed to rattle out of the box are they?

I'm almost thankful it was stolen, but not quite.
  4. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i have a stainless 1991 a1 commander and it is one of the most accurate guns i own,it will shoot one hole groups from 25 feet all day long
  5. williamd

williamd New Member

I have a couple of Series 80's and they do better than I can. However, my Series Gold Cup is decidedly better. I have changed out several parts in one Series 80; they can be made quite good. That's where I learned that basically NOTHING is drop in!:eek:
  6. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

For around $500 you can get the Taurus PT 1911 that will shoot 2" groups at 20-25 yards. My dad and I both bought one and we like them, a lot! Out of the box the Taurus is ready to rock & roll. I know it's made in Brazil but it is quality.
  7. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

Yes, Taurus is really starting to get a name for quality (at least in my book). My uncle recently bought a Taurus .44mag revolver, it feels very solid and shoots the same way.
  8. RahiemPT100

RahiemPT100 New Member

For 3 factors I too recommend the Taurus;

• Price (for the quality you can't beat them)
    • Warranty (nobody but Taurus offers LIFETIME WARRANTY)
    • Effectiveness (despite what I have "heard" online, the Taurus I own is fairly accurate at 10-15 feet, and still pretty accurate at 25 feet in the hands of my instructor--2-3" groupings). They are easy to field strip and clean, and very easy to maintain.
    One mans opinion.