Colt 22 Conversion Unit

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by OHshooter, Jan 2, 2007.

1. OHshooter

OHshooter New Member

I have been looking at Colt 22 Conversion units on E-Bay that have been selling for between $300 and $450+ and am wondering what their worth is in the real world?

I'm talking about the ones with steel slides and the floating chamber made by Colt not the ones with the aluminum slides made by others.
  2. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

That sounds high to me, but if it's realy a Colt Ace they will get that much for it.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If it is for a collection the ACE is OK but if you plan to shoot it you are much better off with a modern 22 conversion unit.

The absolute accuracy king (on a par or even better than a S&W Model 41) is the Marvel Precision Unit One which ties the entire barrel assembly to the frame with only the bolt moving to the rear. It has a bridge type sight mounting scheme so sights do no move as they are tied to the frame as well. They offer two sight rails, one with sights mounted and the other for scope mounting. The accuracy is so high on this conversion that it is rated at 50 yds not 25 yds which is pretty much the industry standard for pistols. The group that comes with the gun (supposedly shot from your conversion unit) are really impressive!

For a tactical 22 conversion there is the Mavel Precision Unit Two, the Ciener, and the Kimber. These all look like and operate more like the standard Colt 1911 where the sights are on the slide that moves to the rear under recoil. In these conversions, which are blow-back operated, only the barrel itself is tied to the frame. The accuracy of these, while very good, can not match the Marvel Unit One.

I believe all to be under $400. The Marvel Precision site is screwed up so I can not verify that. You might want to call them and visit Ciener and Kimbers sites.

LDBennett
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

In my opinion, conversion kits are a waste of money because you can pick up a really decent .22 pistol for the cost of these kits. That being said, the older Colt conversion kits had something called a "floating chamber." This simulated the recoil of a .45 auto when used with .22 ammo, giving a much more realistic feel much like the .45.
  5. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

I have nothing to compare with, I had a Colt Ace original, not a conversion.
    Wish I still had it.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

wonderwhippet:

The Marvel Unit One conversion will out shoot anything short of an Olympic style target pistol. It is as good if not better in accuracy than the measuring stick for the under $1000 22 target pistols, the S&W Model 41. I iknow as I have both.

The Marvel Unit Two, the Kimber, and the Ciener conversions allow you to use your race gun 45 frame with its super trigger and all the ergonomics you use for competition (amby safety, extended slide release, grips, etc.) for cheap 22 practice. It makes no sense to practice Combat shooting with completely different operating and feeling guns.

So you see there is some "sense" to the conversion units. My bag is accuracy and I have the Marvel Unit One with both the open sight top rib and the scope mount top rib for that reason.

LDBennett