Colt 22 Slab-side?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Old Gun Guy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I purchased this Colt 22 today, and it felt very good in my hand. It has never been fired, but the action has been reworked, and the barrel sides have been shaved down. The flat sides of the barrel are like a jewelers work; very detailed.
    I got to thinking, did Colt ever make a slab-side .22 pistol, or is this the work of a gunsmith? I don't know, but either way I like it! Here's a couple of pics of the beast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Old Gun Guy
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

A version/remake of the Hi Standard Dura-Matic, shoot it and enjoy, good plinker.
  3. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

What you have is a Cadet by Colt. Colt sold them w/ round barrels. Your's has been cut down by "someone". Looks good though. I had 1 w/a Tasco red dot on it & was very happy! You will really enjoy shooting it!! ;)

SR :)
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I believe you have a new Colt Woodsman Match Model .22 target pistol. Now I have never seen this particular variation with the slab sides but I can tell you though that cold made several variations of it just like Ruger did with the MK series pistols. Damn good shooters. You will find that this is one of the few auto target pistols that can shoot as well as the Rugers. Enjoy you gott a good one.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup to you and Twoshotkil. It's a Cadet (or probably just "Colt .22" after the Iver Johnson vs. Colt trademark dispute). A plastic-grip remake of the old HS Duramatic design. The mag release and safety button positioning make it kinda awkward to my hands, but it's a nice shooter.
    I kinda wish they had made it with a steel or alloy frame instead of jumping on the plastic bandwagon...but that's just my opinion.
    Not sure why they quit making it a few years back. poor sales or ???

Someone did mill the barrel though. That's not a factory job.
    I think they could've done a better job cleaning up the milling marks too...but again, just my opinion.

Great little plinker. Enjoy it!
  6. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Jeez, Guns are getting weirder looking and weirder looking. What's with the "Buck Rodgers" trend? The Neos, the S&W 22, the Walther p-22, now the Colt. I just don't get the plastic, over-the-top looking new guns. What happened to gold ol' steel and wood? Guess I'm just getting too old. TJ
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

TeeJay,
    You think those are weird, I saw a gunstock the other day that I don't think was wood because it had colored stripes on it, and would you believe, a hole in the thing to stick your thumb in!! What is this world coming to!!
    Old Gun Guy
  8. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Well, one thing's for sure, John Browning didn't design these new "hybrids." A "thumb hole stock," you say? Now, I've heard everything;). Hey there, fellow Old Guy, sure didn't mean to step on toes. Who knows? I might just find I like the new fangled things:p. Just can't break that old wood-steel habit:D:D I must REALLY be an Old guy. :):) TJ
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Actually this Colt was one of the first of the plastic-fantastic .22s. It came out sometime around '93 or '94 and the Cadet name was quickly dropped. I think it was discontinued in 96 or 97 but I'm not sure on the exact date.

Some guys say they've seen em with the Cadet name on the side but mine and the few others I've seen don't have that tag on em anywhere. (Mine was new in '94)

I wonder if our resident Iver Johnson expert (b.goforth) could shed a little more light on the name change squabble details. As I remember, Colt had to change the name because IJ still held trademark on it.
  10. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

You know, now that you mention it, I remember seeing an article in G&A back then on this pistol. Little was I to know that this was the shape of things to come. TJ
  11. 1990Bulldog

1990Bulldog New Member

I have a Colt "Cadet" that I bought new in 1997. It doesn't have the "Cadet" name on it but looks exactly like the one pictured, minus the milled barrel. I love shooting it and that thing is accurate as heck. Your going to have a lot of fun.

I was in an intern program, and I posted a message on our message board letting people know that I brought my handguns and willing to take anyone to the range. Regardless of their experiance, I started all of them with the Colt for several reasons:
    1. Get them acclimated with the recoil and noise (very little with the 22).
    2. Build their confidence.
    3. Cheap as heck to shoot (at that time since it was $9 for 500 rounds) and help them with their aim.

If they liked it and wanted to continue, then we would graduate to the Beretta 92FS. After that, we would move on to the H&K USP 40.

Everyone had a great time and I met a lot of girls this way.
  12. big steve

big steve New Member

That is something that colt did but someone shaved it down more than how they came beatiful gun though.
  13. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Thanks for all your inputs. I've been thinking about having the flat sides engraved with some heraldic eagle designs and scrolls. I have been thinking hard on a particular design, and I'll let you guys know what I come up with. (All in all, it's still a Colt, and deserving of special treatment). Any ideas?
    Old Gun Guy
  14. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

When you said "Colt Slab-side" you got me all excited. I thought you were talking about my favorite "slab side" Colt - the Colt Camp Perry .22rf single-shot.

I love these beautiful oddballs!

Kinda' hard to find nowadays as there were only 2,525 made between 1920 and 1941. According to factory letter in background, this old timer was shipped in January 1934 to a Ft. Worth, TX dealer.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

[​IMG]