colt 22 target scope recomendations

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rduvall, Nov 23, 2011.

1. rduvall

rduvall New Member

I have a .22 colt semi auto target pistol from the mid 90's. It has a 4" bull barrel with a top ramp. I want to put a scope on it. What does everyone think about a decent reasonably priced scope? I have about a $350 budget for the scope and rings. I saw a simmons for less than $100 that appeared to be a good buy.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I have a Burris, long eye relief, 4x, plex, para-lax adjustable, mod. 200238. I have had it for a long time it was mounted on a Colt .357 mag. revolver and handled the recoil with no problems. I have just mounted it on a Ruger MK III Hunter but have not made it to the range. I have no complaints about this scope and it is over twenty years old.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. rduvall

rduvall New Member

I like that. Burris is a decent scope? What kind of rings did you use?
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

The rings are Leopold aluminum. I used the "high" rings only because I didn't want to remove the rear sight. No big deal in removing the rear sight I just didn't want to do it. The advantage of removing the rear sight would have been the ability to use lower height rings bringing the scope down nearer the top of the barrel which would probably be desirable. These rings are what are called "Weaver Style" as they have a cross bolt that prevents the rings from shifting on the base. They do require a "Weaver Style" base to accommodate the cross bolt. You can see those cross grooves in the photo. Depending on your use 4x might be more magnification than you would want for a handgun. Personal preference comes into play.

I think Burris is one of the better scope manufacturers but they are higher in price. Again persona preference. I have several lower cost scopes, Tasco and BSA on some .22lr rifles and have had no problem with them what so ever.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

If I didn't already have the Burris and was going to scope a .22 handgun I would probably gone with one of the lower cost scopes.