colt .25 hammerless pocket model

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by misaacs, Jan 5, 2011.

1. misaacs

misaacs New Member

i have inherited a colt automatic pistol caliber .25 pocket model, hammerless.. chrome in color (or silver) first three number of the serial are 404 last patented date is july 31, 1917 and 55 stamped on the right side of the trigger gaurd.. i would like to know the date is was made and what is the value and anything else history related as this was my grandfathers and i seem to not be able to find anything on it
  2. diligent_dave

diligent_dave New Member

The variables are many......does it have pearl grips.....what is the condition? Made somewhere prior to 1946 when the model was discontinued. At any rate, somewhere between $375 and $1200 depending on condition and other factors.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

We need photos to determine if it is a factory plated pistol or a refinish job. If the finish is not original, the value could be as low as $200.
  4. misaacs

misaacs New Member

no its the brown handle with colt emblem on each side and the colt is also on the chamber slider by the safety lock
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun was made in 1937. If the shiny finish is original, it is almost certainly nickel; Colt never used chrome plating and silver is unlikely. (This assumes the finish was not totally removed, leaving bare steel.) The checkered walnut grips with the Colt medallions were standard at that time.

Jim
  6. misaacs

misaacs New Member

how can i post pics via phone to computer to here?
  7. misaacs

misaacs New Member

i believe this is the true finish ( NICKLE AS YOU SAY) it is shiny like new thats for sure and i think your correct on the standard walnut grip wish i could figure out how to get the pics on here to get a better idea on what its worth
  8. misaacs

misaacs New Member

here are the pics

Attached Files:

9. misaacs

misaacs New Member

i should have cleaned it
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

First, I assume you have a digital camera and have the pictures in your computer (in a file called MY PICTURES, probably). Review your pics and make sure they are usable and not blurred or dark.

Then click on REPLY, and then on GO ADVANCED. Type any comments you want to go with the picture.

Then, go down to the OPTIONS and click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS.

A window will open saying "DOWNLOAD FILES FROM YOUR COMPUTER". Click on the first BROWSE and find the file(s) you want to upload; there is room for four pictures. Then click on UPLOAD and wait until the picture is uploaded and close the window.

Jim
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

sure easy for u to say
  12. misaacs

misaacs New Member

when was this type of pistol the blue tint? and if this was in fact blue how would the blue come off i see no signs of blue
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Colt offered those pistols with two standard finishes, blued and nickel plated. You have the latter. The appearance of the factory blue varied over the years of production from a hard black to a soft blue color.

I can't be sure because of the picture quality, but it looks like that gun may have been re-nickeled. Better pictures could either prove or disprove that.

I only suggested the possibility of the finish being totally removed because that has been done and people sometimes mistake the bare metal for nickel or chrome plating or for stainless steel.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  14. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Very hard to tell from the blurry photos, but I agree that it appears to have been refinished. Also, the plating is much too shiny to be original.