Colt .32 1903

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by bigiron, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bigiron

bigiron New Member

I've had this old Colt for about 30 years. It was given to me in this condition.
    Will have to get grips and a magazine. Should I refinish, or what. Open for suggestions/advice.

Attached Files:

2. 56/50

56/50 New Member

Boy it seems that these good old timers are coming out of the woodwork now!! That's great !! As far as what it needs to complete it's appearance that's only fair to all the great weapons of that time period! As for re-blueing or a complete pro restoration, first off how are the mechanics, second do you know anyone who will do it properly, thirdly can you afford the price of a restoration??? I personally would only put it back to completion and make sure the bore is good and clean and oil accordingly, also look for the proper holster, etc. Check out Numrich and this site or other sites for the proper parts and post your progress here, if you need it's year of manufacture and or other history just ask! Good luck and now the fun of owning an old firearm is just beginning!! Joe L.
  3. bigiron

bigiron New Member

Thanks for replying. With a serial # 2904XX it should be a 1919 manufacure as best as I can figure out. Just in back of the trigger, on the frame, there is another number, TC456. I don't have a clue what that is. Bore is great. Action is strong, slide is tight. I cleaned it thoroughly many years ago before putting it in my son's gun safe.
  4. 56/50

56/50 New Member

Get the grips, mag and ammo and enjoy! They are easy shooters! Joe L.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Try www.gungrip.com for the grips and grip screw.

The pictures are not good, but that gun looks too far gone to be restored. Removing the pits will remove most of the markings and the gun will look just as bad, sort of like a Hollywood makeup job on the cat. Magazines (after market) are available from www.gunpartscorp.com . They also have grips, but "gungrip" grips are better (IMHO).

That would make an OK carry gun; they are very reliable but the safety and sights are against them. On the plus side, if you use it and it is confiscated, you have not lost a valuable collectors item. The "TC456" could be some property mark or even a police evidence identification. I know of no way to tell.

Jim
  6. bigiron

bigiron New Member

Thanks, Jim and everyone who has replied. I appreciate your advice.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

For perspective, I was at a gun show today and saw three of those. One about 80 percent bluing at $500, one with 90% at $600 and one almost 100% at $650. So, if you want a decent one, spending a lot of money on that one may not be cost effective.

Jim
  8. bigiron

bigiron New Member

I agree. I've disassembled and cleaned. Took 0000 Steel wool and mineral spirits and
    scrubbed it thoroughly. Also used an aluminum bar on some rough spots. Just gonna keep it well oiled, and shoot the little jewel. Thanks for the info. Gary
  9. wpage

wpage New Member

Looks like my Gramps old belly gun. Order some grips and keep it clean!
    Enjoy...