Colt .38 special 'Police Positive' and Luger

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by pazzo, Dec 26, 2006.

1. pazzo

pazzo New Member

what's something like this worth?
    and what would be the story on this Luger? it doesn't tell me much on it. is it even real? are there 'fake' Lugers??
    thanks a lot:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Luger is plenty good; can't see enough of the approval markings to tell you more than it being a DWM from 1914. Can't give you much "price" information without knowing if all of the parts are properly marked with the last two digits of the serial, that it is in its original chambering and that the blueing is original and not damaged on an unseen angle. A "shooter" quality Luger is about $600 here at this time. Magazine also counts as a "part" on a Luger and will have a serial. Holsters, cleaning tools, spare magazines (original ones), and things such as capture papers affect the value also.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

From the looks of it, this Luger is more than "good," it appears to be in excellent condition. Yes, if all the numbers match and the bore is nice, the Luger is worth at least $1,000. If the magazine also matches, you can add another $300 or more to the value. A really nice piece with original finish.

As for the Colt, it's very common, not collectible, just a nice housegun worth
    $200 or so.
  4. pazzo

pazzo New Member

all the #'s match...
    cool, so that's $1000 USD, which is... about $1150 CAD?? not bad i guess?
  5. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

What is the Winchester behind the Colt?
  6. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

$600 is jsut a starting point like I said. Depending on the other factors; the price can well exceed $1000 on a Luger. I cannot tell if the finish is original or not from the computer and I tend to stay on the defensive as far as that relates. If you would take a picture of the small markings that are in a line on the reciever; likely crowns with letters beneath them, I can give you a very exact idea of the precise heritage of the Luger. DWM was a conglomerate which had several plant codes that will illuminate the exact maker and possibly a month of production.
  7. pazzo

pazzo New Member

Ithaca model 72 ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. pazzo

pazzo New Member

i hope this helps... there's not really any other markings!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Produced in the first few months of 1914 at Bohler Stahl under DWM. Actually about a $1500 Luger. Double check the magazine; if it matches to a "T" you can add about $500 onto the book price. If insuring the pistol those are the numbers you need to pay close attention to. If you are in the selling market they are a good starting point to begin negotiations at.
  10. pazzo

pazzo New Member

wow! thanks a lot for that valuable info.

Do you happen to know what model it is?
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  11. pazzo

pazzo New Member

it says in my Illustrated Directory of Guns (p.230 top), and referring to my gun, that "This .38 Special w/ a 4" barrel was made specially for the Railway Express Agency."
    there's another pic on the bottom of p.229 showing what looks like the same gun, only where mine (p.230) says (read pic below) on the barrel, the other one (p.229) reads: Police Positive .38 Special.

so is mine actually a .38 special, or just a .38? the text in that article says that this Colt also came in a .38 Model. but when looking at the text referring to my gun, it says it's a .38 Special for the Railway Express Agency...

sorry for the confusion:eek:
    [​IMG]
  12. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Slipped up a bit on that explanation. It is made of Bohler Stahl at DWM. Bohler steel is a high grade weapons steel. Luger is just the standard model for WWI. It would be considered a model 1914 if someone wanted to be overly technical.
  13. pazzo

pazzo New Member