colt .380 hammerless auto pistol 1903

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by getgot, Nov 17, 2008.

1. getgot

getgot New Member

Generally what is a 1903 Colt .380 Hammerless Auto Pistol with original magazine, worth? Fires sweet and is good condition.....
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

need a picture to help also the first 3 numbers of the serial number would help. there were 3 or 4 "editions" of this gun. type 1, 2, 3, etc.... serial number would determine when it was made and what type you had.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi getgot.....you don't have a 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless pistol.

The 1903 Pocket came only in .38ACP. The first Pocket Hammerless (Model "M") came out in 1903, but in caliber .32ACP.

The first Pocket Hammerless in .380 (Model "M" - .380ACP) was introduced in 1908, and is known as the Model 1908 (Model M .380ACP).

Oscar's right....there were 3 different types, but for value purposes, the Blue Book pretty much lumps them all together as to value (unless yours is "U.S. Property" marked or a General Officer's Pistol).

Blue Book value (% = amount of original finish left):

98% = $1,425
    95% = $1,000
    90% = $750
    80% = $650

Note: Type 1's (serial #s 1-6251) command a 15% premium.
  4. getgot

getgot New Member

first three numbers of SS# 47818.....380 hammerless..
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

without checking to be sure i think that might be a 1945 made model m you have. type 3 for sure with that late of a serial number. now if it happens to be marked us property it's absolutly valueless. but i'd be happy to take it off your hands and being the nice guy i am i'd pay for shipping. :D just kidding us property marked are worth a "few" bucks".
  6. getgot

getgot New Member

its not marked us property
  7. getgot

getgot New Member

if u knew weiner man u would know the gun was manfactured in 1910....
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

47818 was made in 1921.
  9. getgot

getgot New Member

i see that now
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

yep my bad i assumed that was only part of the 3 number serial number i only looked at the 1st three numbers and assumed *** was a continuation.
  11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

and for the record, a period > . means end. a group of periods >... means continuation. and i said " my bad" i assumed it wasn't a complete serial number. so with that said keep your shitty, comments in my personal mail to yourself. be a man and say what you need to in public. and keep this in mind. there is a right way and a wrong way to approach someone, now i know it's easy to be a badass while hiding 2000 miles away and behind your keyboard, and i surely don't need your pearls of wisdom hurled at me as you clutter up my private mail with your BS. my intent wasn't to provide you with false information so there is no need to act like a jerk... (notice the 3 periods that means continuation fill in the blank for yourself).
  12. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

A lot of this confusion comes because there were TWO Colt Model 1903 Pocket automatics....and they were entirely different guns.

The first Colt M1903 was actually a continuation of the M1902.....the first Colt Auto offered for civilian sale. It was chambered for ".38 Rimless Smokeless" (later to be called .38 ACP). It's also sometimes called the "Colt Pocket Hammer".

The 2nd M1903 Pocket was a much smaller and lighter gun (also called the Model "M" .32ACP), which is the gun we all associate with the Colt Pocket Hammerless.

A bit later, the above was brought out in .380ACP and the nomenclature was changed to Model 1908(Model "M" .380 ACP).

Here's a bit more info for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Model_1903_Pocket_Hammer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Model_1903_Pocket_Hammerless

Ain't "playing with guns" FUN? :D:D:D
  13. getgot

getgot New Member

weiner man gets to smart off in his post but he cant handle a little in return
  14. getgot

getgot New Member

keep ur "few bucks"
  15. coltcollect

coltcollect New Member

I just discovered this forum and have enjoyed reading the postings. seems like a bunch of good and helpful people. not sure what type of issues getgot has but he doesn't seem to be in tune with the good will that i've seen displayed here in some of the postings.
  16. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

coltcollect there's one (sometimes more) in every crowd. ne reason to battle wits with the unarmed. :D
  17. getgot

getgot New Member

originally just looking for information but as u insult, insults are returned, shameful yank, no harm though as i am the one with the pistol and u are the one with the insults. U seem like a pretty nice fellow from the north land, and if u want to get together just head south about 1750 miles, that is if u can get out of the snow melt and we'll prepare u some home cooking............
  18. johncavedo

johncavedo New Member

I have the colt 380 hammerless which was issued to then Brig Gen Maxwell Taylor. He had it on his side when he jumped into Normandy as the commander of the 101st Abn.
    He later became Chief of Staff of the Army, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and US Ambassador to Vietnam.
    He gave me his pistol plus magazine and holster in 1978. He also gave me a 25 cal semi auto (which I gave to my boss's driver).
    It's in absolutly excellent condition.
    Any ideas what it might be worth?
  19. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Johncavedo,

I am going to ignore the old (2008) thread, and just respond to your posting.

Is the .380 U.S. PROPERTY marked? Is the .25 auto a Colt? If so, is it USP marked?
    What are the serial numbers? (X out the last two or three if it makes you feel better.)

Do you have solid, documentary proof that the guns were owned by Gen Taylor. That can either be by an authenticated letter from him or by an authentic document from the Army saying that they issued pistol(s) of such and such serial number to him.

Frankly, nothing else will hack it and, while I am sure you are an honest and truthful person, no one will pay a lot of bucks on your word. The cold fact is that without proof, a story is just that.

With solid proof of the general's ownership, the gun(s) might at least $10000 at auction. Wthout, the value depends on condition and markings, like the "USP" I mentioned. An ordinary .380 hammerless in top condition will bring around $1600+, around $700 if average. USP marked and proven General Officers Pistols will bring $3000-4000 or more.

Jim
  20. troy

troy New Member

I have a 1897-1903 380 colt serial no. 291** original condition with clip. Could you please tell me the approx. value? Thank you.