Colt .41 cal.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Tom Reynolds, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Tom Reynolds

Tom Reynolds New Member

This colt is chrome or nickel with some peeling & a little rust around the front of the grip. Hard rubber grips appear org. but are alittle to big. hang over just alittle on the back. Mechanically there is no half cock, full cock just barely holds, locks up so so I'd shoot it ,but, carefully. It has a 4.75 or 4.58 barrel ser. 199196. While I don't know much about the owner & I'm no Colt expert the gun appears org. If you need more information before giving a value, about, let me know what you need. Thanks again Tom
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Tom, a picture would be great. We also need all the markings on the barrel and frame. Serial number would be good also, you can use XX for the last several numbers. Other than that, no way to identify it. If you read the first thread in this post, it will explain all that we need. Thanks and get back to us soon!
  3. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Are we referring to a Single Action Army or one of the double-action models (which would not have a half-cock).
  4. Tom Reynolds

Tom Reynolds New Member

Sorry about that, it's the old single action army. Tom
  5. CountryGunsmith

Well, its a First Generation SAA on the smokeless frame made in 1900.

Value range from $800 to a couple thousand. Colt SAA are some of the most heavily collected firearms in the world. I would hesitate to assign a value on one of these sight-unseen, but if you can take digital pics of all angles (I can tell you what shots we'd need) we can go a long way to verifying authenticity and giving you a solid valuation.
  6. Tom Reynolds

Tom Reynolds New Member

I do have every thing needed to take pictures, but, a person to opperate it. If you'll tell me what angles I'll get it done. On the black powder, I was told the way you can tell if it is black or smokeless is on black powder the cylinder pin is held by a screw in the front of the frame, this one has the spring loaded cross pin to take the cylinder out. I also thought the .41 cal. only came in black powder. I appreciate your help very much. Tom
  7. CountryGunsmith

The change from the screw to the transverse cylinder pin latch was made in 1892, but Colt was issuing precautions against smokeless powder as late as 1898 and did not officially certify their revolvers for smokeless until 1900. Therefore, all original frames with the screw-type latch are 'blackpowder' frames, but some early guns with the transverse latch were made before Colt officially sanctioned smokeless powder.

The .41 Colt chambering was first known in this gun in 1885, and some 16402 standard SAA's were so chambered - less than were chambered in .32 WCF, .44 WCF and of course .45 Colt. Not sure when the .41 was dropped (I'll research that) but I own one made in 1907. The .41 Colt also appears in several of the double-action revolvers as late as the Army Special into the late 'teens.

There is some discrepancy in the dates mentioned above, but the reference I generally use is Wilson. Leyton's dates are a few years different, but I've personally seen factory-authenticated revolvers that correspond with Wilson's date as opposed to Leyton's.

I would need good full views of both sides, detail views of the barrel and frame markings, the rear face of the cylinder, and the damage you mention. Also a detail view of the underside of the frame forward of the triggerguard.