colt 45 1911a1 Union Switch and Signal (US&S)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

Please ,help me with this gun (unfired)

I need the value

Experimental gun 3 digits serial number

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Thanks

Luis Fernando
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Luis, I don't what your gun is worth but I am sure it is well into the several thousands. Someone on this forum will know.

Ron
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

unfired? :eek: 3 digit serial number :eek:. is it marked property of us army or gov't i do believe you're sitting on a gold mine.... 15000.00 usd +++
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Nice but am I seeing a slide release mark on the frame ??
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The "dust cover"?:confused:
  6. jondar

jondar New Member

I always thought the US&S's were sand blasted, then blued, giving a flat blue gray finish. that was according to Clawson't book. What would it being experimented on? The one shown appears to have a polished finish, but it's hard to tell from the picture.
  7. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I doubt very much that pistol is unfired. The EXP's were made for testing.

Those were made about 30 miles from here, my aunt worked there building 1911's and later parts for the M1.

Approximately 100 EXP marked pistols made up from preproduction trial run slides, receivers, and small parts were used in various experiments at US&S. So it is a rare one and I doubt all 100 of these survived testing.

Different finishes were used on the EXP's. That one could be a Du-lite blued finish over a polished surface, the other finish variation found in this series of pistols was sandblasted and then blued.

US&S tested all of the 55,000 1911's made there on their own range, 21 shots were fired. And I think it has been said that not one failed the factory test firing. Well made pistols with a better reputation than the Remington Rand and Ithaca. The US&S pistols did real well on the governments test of disassembling 24 pistols, mixing the parts and putting them all back together to test parts interchangeability.

Only the Singer was made in lower numbers with only 500.

Value...I don't have a clue.:D

And yes John...I call that part the "dust cover" also. I don't remember where that came from.

EXP94 with sandblasted/blued finish.
    [​IMG]

EXP98 with polished/blued finish.
    [​IMG]
  8. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Really nice gun. Even if not unfired this gun still has to be valuable. With a 3 digit serial and considering the condition in the pictures.

GunHugger you say made 30 miles from you. Where is that? Were these guns made in Turtle Creek where Union Switch & Signal was from? I believe they had a Swissvale plant also, Is this correct?
  9. skeletonkey

skeletonkey New Member

A few years ago, I was told by a serious military 1911 collector that only about 25 of the US&S EXP pistols are known to still exist and they are quite valuable as a result. Most were destroyed in experiments but a few were give to guards and as gifts/awards to employees.