colt 45 70 series 7 round magazine

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by smokyhollowforge, Apr 17, 2009.

1. smokyhollowforge

smokyhollowforge New Member

I bought a colt 45 70 series a few weeks ago it came with a extra magazine. The colt magazine drops right out when I push the release but the aftermarket magazine sticks and I have to pull it out is that normal? I want to buy a few extra magazines but I would like ones that work right. Could someone tell me what are good brand magazines to buy or should I only buy colt magazines? My colt is brushed nickle finish and I would like to get nickle or ss magazines.
    Thanks
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Look at the sticky mag and compare with the non sticking one. Magazines will most often tell you where, and then why they stick, scratches and rubbing marks are what to look for. Pay special attention above the slot that engages with the release button. Also check for any burrs, high points around the slot.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The mag is swelled and can be gently mashed back into spec. I just replace them with good quality mags and pitch the bad ones.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Shooter45 is correct, swelling can occur and if it has some scrapes should tell the story. I certainly agree with throwing any faulty mags away and buying good ones.
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I dont know what brand of amagazines you purchased but I think that you will find Wilson mags to be worth the cost. A lot of people also like Chip McCormick mags. You bought a quality gun mak sure to buy mags of equal quality to go with it.
  6. ARB

ARB New Member

I have four Wilson mags that work beautifully. Two are eight rounders.
  7. smokyhollowforge

The magazine came as a extra with the gun I bought. It has no brand name on it. There is a lot of wear on the left side about a 1"- 1 1/2" down from the top of the magazine it has worn all the bluing off. Should I try to close it in some in a vice or just pitch it and buy a few good brand magazines.
    Thanks
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

If it were me, I would play with it, try and fix it. But if you're going to use it for anything serious like self defence, throw it away and spend the money you need too to get some good quality ones.

If it were me, and I had a big enough vice I would put two pieces of flat wood either side before squashing. You could also lay the mag on a wood surface, place another flat bit of wood on top and hammer away. OK, taking care and checking after every couple of bashes. Dont forget the take out the follower and spring before you start. And if you get the mag so it can slide in and out of the gun, replace the follower and spring and check they slide all the way down freely, then check with bullets, while its out of the gun!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

being a cheap old sod i'd squeeze it with the blocks of wood and a vice or c-clamp. but i'd consider that to be a range magazine and never trust it for serious work. for those i use only wilson 47d or chip mccormick shooting stars
  10. JLA

JLA Moderator

i second the chip mccormick power mags, and the wilson combat mags. both are of superb quality and stainless steel to boot.
  11. techoca

techoca New Member

I use Wilson 47 for CCW and metalform mags with Wilson springs and followers for semi-wadcutter range shooting. They have never let me down like the cheap factory mags.
  12. The one real weakness with the 1911 pistol has always been the critical nature of the magazines it uses. There's very little tolerance. If they are even slightly outside of perfect, they simply won't function reliably. The advice Shooter and Tranter gave is right on the money. Buy only high-quality mags and replace any that give evidence of malfunction.
  13. smokyhollowforge

I ordered a few chip mccormick mags. I have not had a chance to try to fix the sticking mag yet. I will let you no the outcome.
  14. smokyhollowforge

Received new Chip mccormick mags they slide in hard (the last inch or so you need to push hard to get it to click in) but drop right out. Are new mags supposed to be fairly hard to click in? Also I was able to get the no name mag fixed with squeezing it in a vise a little. now it drops right out also. Thank you for the help.