Colt 45 revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dan, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Dan

Dan New Member

I have a Colt 45 with serial number168809 located jus above the trigger guard and again the same number above that. Just under the cylinder is "PatSept 19. 1871 July 2. 72. 19.75 next to that is an imprinted colt with a circle around it. Bluing is just about gone but gun seems to be in operating conditions.
    Would anyone know the approxate value of this piece?
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Well, let's say you are referring to a Colt Model 1873 Single Action Army.

The patent dates should read:

PAT. SEPT. 19, 1871
    JULY 2, 72, JAN 19, 75

The Rampant Colt enclosed by a full circle is correct. As a side note, I am happy to see the full circle is still present. Leaves me to believe the gun hasn't been pricked with.

Your serial number indicates manufacture in early 1897, which makes your gun officially an Antique. The serial number should appear in the two places you've mentioned, and on the bottom of the butt. The grip panels may have the last few digits scratched into them as well. The cylinder should NOT be numbered in this year range.

Standard barrel lengths were 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2". Many other lengths were available on order, and bring extra value if substantiated.

We'll assume standard SAA configuation, not Bisley.

Although your gun was slightly before Colt approved the model for use with smokeless powder, you should have the lateral base pin latch associated with smokeless frames. The 'black powder' frame was phased out in 1892.

I could go on and on, but let's cut to the chase. Assuming you have an honest, un-fiddled with Colt SAA in .45 Colt, made in 1897, with no special features, in about 10% original finish....at least $1500. If any rare features or verifiable special order features, double it - plus.
  3. Dan

Dan New Member

Dan

I have a Colt .45 model 1873 Single Action Army with serial number 168809 above the trigger guard and again the same number above that. Just under the cylinder is PAT. SEPT. 19, 1871 JULY 2, 72, JAN 19, 75 next to that is the Rampant Colt enclosed by a full circle. On the top of the barrel is Colts PT. FA Mfg Co Hartford CT. The bluing is just about gone but the gun seems to be in good mechanical condition. Would anyone have a ballpark number for how much I would be able to list this piece? also, do you have any recomendations on where to list this gun. Am I correct in assuming since this piece is an antique I am able to send it direct to the buyer without going through a FFL dealer? Thanks you so much in advance for any information that you would provide.

Dan
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Re: Dan

Hi, Dan;
    welcome to the forum. You have discovered a great place with lots of knowledgeable people with years of experience who are very happy to share their expertise. People are friendly and helpful here.

Could you post some pictures? That would help the experts here to put a value on it.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks like you asked the same question on 11/02/2003.

Bad memory ???? :D
  6. Dan

Dan New Member

Yes, I realized that I have asked this question before but I have added more to it this time. I really appreciate all the help this site has provided in the past. I have made up my mind to sell this piece this time. I have requested a letter from Colt but it won't be here for 120 days so I guess I will just have to wait. I will try and send some pictures of the gun as soon as I can figure out how to do it.
    Thanks and best regards

Dan
  7. Dan

Dan New Member

Re: Dan

Thanks for your kind words and I agree with you on this site. I will try and upload some photo's as soon as I can learn how to do this.

Thanks and Best regards

Dan
  8. Dan

Dan New Member

I am sorry for the poor quailiy of the photo's. I will try and learn how to take better pictures.

Thanks

Dan

Attached Files: