Colt .45 SAA 1st gen 4 3/4"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by perfdavid, Jul 13, 2011.

1. perfdavid

perfdavid New Member

Ok, gentlemen. I just purchased this gun to add to my firearms collection. I know what I paid for it BUT I would like to know what others think it is worth. I guess more of a validation for me,or maybe a let down. Anyway all of the action is super tight, all clicks and spring is excellent. Bore is in great shape. I took the grips off and did not see any numbers etched just what looks to be the letter H on both, so I don't know what that means, any ideas?
    All serial numbers match and it has a letter from Colt, shipped in 1901 to a hardware store in Louisville, KY.
    So, any Colt experts out there that would like to give an opinion of value?
    Thanks, guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It looks like a Western gun and like many of those, it has been "rode hard and put away wet." the finish is completely gone, and the markings and cylinder notches badly worn. I suspect it was wire brushed at one time to remove fairly heavy rust/patina. The grips are worn smooth from handling. The gun likely has a history ("if it could only talk") but from a collector's viewpoint, condition is all unless the history is known and involves a prominent person or incident.

Someone staked the screws to keep them from coming loose (are any other screws staked?), a practical measure but not one that helps the value.

I admit to not keeping track of SAA prices these days, but I would WAG at about $2000.

Jim
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I am by no means a Colt expert or any expert for that matter,;), but I will at least put out my thoughts on the gun. For guns like this, up close and personal is the only way to really evaluate them, so just a general ballpark based on the pics, I'd put it in the 2200-2400 range for insurance purposes.
  4. perfdavid

perfdavid New Member

Here are some more pics, thanks so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Chambering will have some influence on value - what cartridge?
  6. perfdavid

perfdavid New Member

7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I'm inclined to agree with the valuations given above - no less than $2K with the letter of provenance.
  8. perfdavid

perfdavid New Member

Thank you all for the replies. Cowboy guns are my fav to collect. I am actually getting rid of my Luger P08 and Broomhandle C96 for another SAA made in 1880.
    I brought the gun to my gunsmith today and he valued it at around 3200. I actually paid 2700 for it. I am happy, it was a gun I wanted, one I can also shoot and I got it for fair market value. I think it's a win/win.