1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Colt .45 SAA 1st gen 4 3/4"

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by perfdavid, Jul 13, 2011.

1. perfdavid

perfdavid New Member

Ok, gentlemen. I just purchased this gun to add to my firearms collection. I know what I paid for it BUT I would like to know what others think it is worth. I guess more of a validation for me,or maybe a let down. Anyway all of the action is super tight, all clicks and spring is excellent. Bore is in great shape. I took the grips off and did not see any numbers etched just what looks to be the letter H on both, so I don't know what that means, any ideas?
    All serial numbers match and it has a letter from Colt, shipped in 1901 to a hardware store in Louisville, KY.
    So, any Colt experts out there that would like to give an opinion of value?
    Thanks, guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It looks like a Western gun and like many of those, it has been "rode hard and put away wet." the finish is completely gone, and the markings and cylinder notches badly worn. I suspect it was wire brushed at one time to remove fairly heavy rust/patina. The grips are worn smooth from handling. The gun likely has a history ("if it could only talk") but from a collector's viewpoint, condition is all unless the history is known and involves a prominent person or incident.

Someone staked the screws to keep them from coming loose (are any other screws staked?), a practical measure but not one that helps the value.

I admit to not keeping track of SAA prices these days, but I would WAG at about $2000.

Jim
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I am by no means a Colt expert or any expert for that matter,;), but I will at least put out my thoughts on the gun. For guns like this, up close and personal is the only way to really evaluate them, so just a general ballpark based on the pics, I'd put it in the 2200-2400 range for insurance purposes.
  4. perfdavid

perfdavid New Member

Here are some more pics, thanks so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Chambering will have some influence on value - what cartridge?
  6. perfdavid

perfdavid New Member

7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I'm inclined to agree with the valuations given above - no less than $2K with the letter of provenance.
  8. perfdavid

perfdavid New Member

Thank you all for the replies. Cowboy guns are my fav to collect. I am actually getting rid of my Luger P08 and Broomhandle C96 for another SAA made in 1880.
    I brought the gun to my gunsmith today and he valued it at around 3200. I actually paid 2700 for it. I am happy, it was a gun I wanted, one I can also shoot and I got it for fair market value. I think it's a win/win.