Colt .45 SAA Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by colt45saa, Oct 3, 2012.

1. colt45saa

colt45saa New Member

Gentlemen,

I have heard great things about this forum and decided to join up. Upon flipping through I saw this thread/page on value estimates and thought I'd give it a go. I have never really cared how much it was worth since I would never dream of selling it, but I am curious as to what it might be valued at if I were to insure it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Original image sizes are
    http://i.imgur.com/NNgT4.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/uxyJ6.jpg

Thanks for the assistance in advance. I'll answer any questions and post more photos if it will help. Right up front, there is no serial number that I can find. It has been blued to my knowledge. It has a story that has been passed down with the gun from my father and his father of the original owner and how it came into their possession but since I don't know any way to prove it, we'll consider it not a part of the value for now.

Shoot Straight,

Will
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Real hard to place a value on a Colt SAA without a serial number that has also been reblued.

We don't know the year, no serial number.

We don't know if it was a Colt factory reblue or who did what to it and why the serial number would have been removed.

It also looks odd the way the barrel is ground near the front sight. Could be that it was in bad shape, rusted badly and that took place to clean it up. That doesn't look as if the work was done by Colt to me.

If it had a serial number it could be dated. Or you could contact Colt for some history of it.

I'm not saying it is...but there are a few fakes floating around the world also.

I'm certainly no SSA expert, I have owned a few, so hopefully someone else be check in here with more info.
  3. B27

B27 New Member

What GH said and also the serial number is required to determine if it is Gen. One, Two or Three.

(oldest to newest)
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The screw retaining the cylinder pin identifies it as a pre-1892 first generation.
  5. colt45saa

colt45saa New Member

That was my assumption as well (although my belief was that it was 1896, not 1892 when they switched to the spring). I personally know that it has been around as long as I can remember. If it is a forgery, it was made before 1981. Obviously I cannot attest to the guns life before I was old enough to remember and I was born in 77. I can however tell you that my father was the most honest man I have ever known. He was in Law Enforcement and was one of the most genuinely great human beings (Bias is overwhelming, isn't it?) I have ever know. The only proof I can offer to attest to his character, is that everyone he had ever known came to his funeral service. I have never seen a longer procession than the one to his final resting place and the full military honors included. I would like to think he was honest. Everyone I have met that knew him says he was a great and honest and amazing man.

All that aside, lets just say that this is a pre 164,000 serial number (since that is when they switched from the screw to a spring) and lets assume that it was NOT factory blued (which is true to the best of my knowledge) and lets also assume that it has all of the original parts (which I believe it does) if all of that is true, what would be a best estimate? I understand if it has to be very general, I was only hoping to get a vague idea, not an exact resale figure.

Thanks Again,

Will
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Flayderman says "around 144,000" which is why I listed 1892...
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It has no value. If it has no serial number (and all Colts left the factory with serial numbers) then the number has been removed, and by Federal law it is contraband. Illegal to own and illegal to sell.
  8. colt45saa

colt45saa New Member

EDIT : so I found the Gun Control Act of 1968 and have figured out everything I need to know. You scared me for a bit there but I am in the clear.

Much Appreciated,

Will
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. colt45saa

colt45saa New Member

I have no personal knowledge of which is correct. My source is - Wilson, RL (1979). Colt Heritage: The Official History of Colt Firearms from 1836 to the Present ISBN 978-0-7106-0004-2

I have seen enough books be wrong and strangers be right to know better than assume I am correct. It was, as I said, my assumption prior to this conversation. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice. The problem is that the way the law is written there is some doubt whether antique guns are covered in the ban on serial number removal or alteration. The old type frame would indicate manufacture before 1 January 1899, which means the gun is an antique. (Wilson says the change was made in 1892.)

So, I am not sure that the missing serial number is a problem in the legal sense. But it and the heavy buffing and grinding are certainly problems value-wise. The gun essentially has no original finish and very little value. And it would be hard to sell with the serial number missing no matter what the law says.

It might be a parts gun but that would mean little; what with Colt still making them, and repros by the thousands, Colt SAA parts are common and cheap.

Insurance should not be a problem. Guns are normally covered under the personal property section of homeowners insurance, and that gun is not valuable enough to need a rider just for it.

Jim
  11. colt45saa

colt45saa New Member

Thank you all so much for all the feedback and information. You're comments and input has given me much to think about and a lot of reading to do. I wish you all a good day and I hope I can return the favor one day.

Sincerely,

Will