Colt 45 serial # 53872 w/pictures

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Boxster42, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Boxster42

Boxster42 New Member

Enclosed are the pictures of this pistol. that has been in my family and has been passed down from my Greatgrand father to me. The pictures that I have taken do not show what is stamped into the barrel. it is as follows:
    COLTS PT. F.A. MFG Co HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
    I know that the grips are wood and have been painted. I am wondering what I should do. Do I leave it alone? Do I try to clean it? Please help as I am puzzled as to what my next step should be. Also is there any other items you would like to see that I have missed? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Boxster42

Boxster42 New Member

More pictures

Attached Files:

3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Check the auction site and try to find the actual grips for that gun rather than trying to refinish.
    And if all else fails then refinish them
    Some one else might be able to give you a price for it
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK.....first let's establish what you've got. I see no evidence of military markings, so what you've got is an Intermediate Black Powder SAA (ser. no. range 22,000-130,000), manufactured in 1880, with matching numbers and unaltered (I don't consider the painted handles as an alteration).

Current Blue Book value is around $3,000.

I wouldn't touch a thing. Newer grips would decrease the originality and value of the gun, and even if you could find a pair of original 1st Generation grips, they probably wouldn't fit as well as the one's you've got.....and wouldn't increase the value any.

Don't worry about the paint on the grips.....it appears to be about as old as the gun, and is now part of the "patina".

Don't try to clean it, or mess with it. Just wipe it down with a very light coat of oil and put it away for your children and grandchildren....it's a part of your family's history!
  5. Boxster42

Boxster42 New Member

Thank you for the information gentlemen. I do have another question for you, Would you reccomend I contact Colt for an Archive letter to perhaps get the history of where the weapon was purchased/shipped to begin with or does this sort of thing not matter.
  6. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

I have no other input, other than to say you have a beautiful piece of "AMERICANNA", take good care of it.
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

The letter won't hurt.
  8. Xracer

9. Boxster42

Boxster42 New Member

Thanks again Gentlemen for your wealth of knowledge and quick replys. From my household to yours, I wish you all a Very happy holiday season.
  10. Xracer

You're most welcome.....and Happy Holidays to you.

Please give Holiday Greetings to your Boxter from my "Dudley DoRight".....'72 Mk.III Mini-Cooper "S". :)
  11. clt8276

clt8276 New Member

IF YOU OUTLAW GUNS ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS
    I DON'T CALL IT OVERKILL I CALL IT BEING PREPARED
    ONE MAN CAN CHANGE THE WORLD WITH ENOUGH AMMO AND IF I MAY ADD A VERY BIG GUN 308 OR BETTER
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Xracer, you never cease to amaze me!
    A '72 Austin Mini Cooper S!!! 1275 cc's of thoroughbred Midget!
    The Detonics 'Combat Master' of the Auto industry, when 'Huge' was cool!
    Please keep 'Dudley' warm and dry; he was only 30 years, too soon!
    Happy Holidays, Terry