Colt 45 serial # 53872

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Boxster42, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Boxster42

Boxster42 New Member

Greetings all. First time poster here. I have recently came into a family jewel. Well at least thats what I think . Anyway a brief history, This pistol was passed down to me by my father from his father. The pistol has 3 patent dates all ranging in the 1880's era. The serial number on the barrel which is 7 1/2 inches is #53872. and the cylinder has only 3872 stamped on it. You will have to forgive my brief descrition as I know not what else to say. If someone out there has any idea to any history of the weapon, I would be greatful to all and any feedback. Thank you
    John
  2. norton m gross

norton m gross New Member

is it an auto or revolver?
  3. norton m gross

norton m gross New Member

I looked closer and saw the word "cylinder".
    I answered my own question!
    is it a single action?
  4. Boxster42

Boxster42 New Member

Yes it is single action.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Boxter.....welcome to TFF. Is that Boxter as in Porsche Boxter?

Anyway, according to my list, your SAA was made in 1880. If any of those patent dates are later than that, something's wrong.

The "3872" on the cylinder simply indicates that the cylinder matches the frame.

An 1880 manufacture date would make your revolver a Civilian "Intermediate Black Powder SAA (Ser. # range 22,000-130,000) or a Military "Mid-Range U.S. Model SAA" (Ser. # range 30,693-121,147) and it's potentially quite valuable (depending on condition). Also, does it have any military markings, like a "U.S" stamped on the handle or frame , or a three letter code stamped on the frame?

Please post several good sharp, clear photos of the revolver, if you can.

Also, please post ALL of the writing on the gun, EXACTLY as, and where, it's written.
  6. Boxster42

Boxster42 New Member

Thanks for the welcome Xracer and Norton. You are correct concerning the Porsche aspect of the name. The Gun is currently being inspected by a local gunsmith for insurance reasons. When the gun is returned to me I shall post as many pictures as it takes to properly identify it. I should be posting pictures as early as this Monday evening. Im looking forward to hearing what you all think.