Colt .45 WW1 Commemorative.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by erjmccarthy, May 29, 2011.

1. erjmccarthy

erjmccarthy New Member

My father has colt .45 WW1 commemorative. It has the dates 1917-1967, so I assume it was manufactured in 67.. The grip has emblems on either side, one side has Belleau wood on it and the other has a list of the countries and the saying "The great war for civilization".. Has a serial # 2364-BW.. This pistol is in great condition.. If any body could tell me what they know about this pistol and it's approx value. Thank you in advance for your help.

Eric.

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Colt Commemorates have never been a great investment, they made too many of each issue. They manufactured 7,400 of the standard Belleau Woods issue. Note, the only way they have the book value is that they are unfired and with all original accouterments ( Original Box or case and papers work.) Two last years references show the same value, Issue price 200, current value 795. I think that is about 200 too low, but what do I know:eek: Hope that helps, perhaps if some one has more current information they will chime in.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I was reading similar just a few weeks ago , Remington make 1000 max and so they go up

many collectables are not really such , though i do like the added detailing often found on them , i buy the gun for what it is , not what it might be worth , however as a shooter, the thing may bring you a million bucks of enjoyment

i'd say your dad had friends or family in WW1 and why the commemorative purchase , that in it's self make it beyond a simple value , that its not a high end collectible , does it matter ? its a very nice piece no matter which way you look at it
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is the Belleau Woods commemorative, put out in 1968, but part of the 50th anniversary series commemorating major WWI battles. (There were also the Meuse-Argonne series, with serial numbers ending in MA, the Chateau Thierry series with numbers ending in CT, and the Marne series with numbers ending in M2.)

That is the second range of the standard pistol (there were Deluxe and Special Deluxe versions). Value, new in the box, could run close to $1200; the gun alone around $1000.

The sad fact is that Colt, in an effort to make quick bucks, turned out so many of those commemoratives of one kind or another that they devalued the whole breed.

Jim
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I say you have a special piece that you can cherish and enjoy for years to come. I like it alot.
  6. erjmccarthy

erjmccarthy New Member

Thank you all for your feedback. The pistol has been sitting in the gun case since I was a child and he was wondering what it may be worth. He is looking to get rid of some of the guns he does not use. Not sure what he is going to do with it. Thanks again for your help.

Eric.
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I would get it and keep it-you never know. You find the right buyer...
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Value, in 100% condition will run about $900-1000; that one would probably go for less. Not a great investment, though. Adjusted for inflation, that is less than the original price. (In 1969, the regular - not Deluxe - commemoratives sold for $200; the standard blued GM was $105.)

Jim