colt 70 series government model like new!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by norton m gross, Nov 28, 2006.

1. norton m gross

norton m gross New Member

I currently own the above mentioned handgun.
    it is a beautiful handgun and is tricked out with darn near everthing.
    I saw a friend shoot the gun (offhand! 3 shots in 1" circle @25 yds.)
    I want to sell it, and want to know what it may be worth?
    it has special sights, beavertail, special magazine. and all!
    can anyone tell me what it is worth and where I can sell it?
  2. norton m gross

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO PUT THE PICTURES IN HERE!
    THIS IS THE HANDGUN WHOSE VALUE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW AND, WHERE I CAN SELL IT!
    THIS IS A COMMERCIAL COLT MK IV GOVERNMENT MODEL 70 SERIES, SERIAL NUMBER 30574G70, PACHMYER GRIPS, WILSON COMBAT MAGAZINE, MAGAZINE FUNNEL, HAND WEB PROTECTION, AND LOW PROFILE TARGET SIGHTS.

IT HAS BEEN ACCURIZED AND IT IS VERY ACCURATE.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS WORTH, WHAT I SHOULD ASK FOR IT AND WHERE CAN I SELL IT?
    THE PHOTOS DONT SHOW HOW BEAUTIFUL THE BLUNG IS, AND IT IS IN ORIGINAL FACTORY BLUE!

Attached Files:

• c.jpg
      c.jpg
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
    • e.jpg
      e.jpg
      File size:
      26.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Unfortunately, Norton, all those extra "Bells & Whistles" don't add to the value of gun.....and unless they came from the factory or were done by a nationally recognized gunsmith, can often detract from the value.

However, what I think what you may have is a factory Colt Series 70 Combat Gov't. Model. This was a forerunner to the Colt Combat Elite.

Assuming this to be the case, the Blue Book value is:

Series 70 Combat Gov't.

98% - $775
    95% - $650
    90% - $550

BTW.....from the serial #, your gun was manufactured in 1977.

Where to sell it? Well, don't sell it to a gunshop.....you won't get nearly full value on it. However, many good gunshops will sell it on consigment for you.

However, to get full value, I'd suggest one of the gun Auction houses, such as Gunbroker ( http://gunbroker.com/ ) or Auction Arms ( http://www.auctionarms.com/ ).

Good Luck..........
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Good lookin gun Norton
  5. norton m gross

looks better in person!
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Xracer was being gentle when he told you all those extras don't add to the value of the gun. As a matter of fact, a lot of people hold the opinion that modifications which change the factory configuration may actually detract from the value. You are going to have to find that one person who is interested in exactly what you have.