Colt Anaconda

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by whip, Jan 8, 2011.

1. whip

whip New Member

I have a Colt Anaconda 4 inch. Bought it in the 1980s new. Its in excellent shape considering I have carried it on many rides and hikes into our local mountains here in Wyoming as Grizzly protection. I have shot several hundred rounds through the gun using primarily 44 special type loads. The cylinder is a little discolored from the firing but other than that the gun looks outstanding and is still tight. The gun has been to a gunsmith and has a spring kit. It has a smooth double action trigger pull and great single action pull. It is still extremely accurate. My question is what is it worth and should I still be carrying it in the hills or should I replace it with a new S&W 44 mag? Had a guy claim I was carrying a gun around that was a collector gun. I'm a user not a collector but if the value is enough I might put it away for my kids to fight over.
  2. whip

whip New Member

Here is a picture of the gun.

Attached Files:

3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

whip, your Colt Anaconda is a collector's gun.... because all Colt Anacondas are collector guns. Your 4" .44 is less common. Most .44 Anacondas were 6"

If your gun was new I'd say stop carrying it. As it is today, you are not likely to lower your gun's value much by carrying it. After 30 years any additional routine use will not diminish its worth.

One thing for sure..... you can expect the value of your Anaconda to increase as the years go by.
  4. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

It is a tool use it. It is a shame to side line a fine handgun based on what it might be worth after you are gone. I have many early Colt firearms I use them as they were made to use.

TLC
  5. Artemus

Artemus New Member

Damn nice gun.Shoot and carry the crap out of it.
  6. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

I like my snake.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Luis Fernando
  7. Freebore

Freebore New Member

The Colt Anaconda's are quickly heading for collector's status (far ahead of any of their competitors), the 45LC Anaconda models have already arrived.

Today expect to pay between $900.00 to $1400.00 for the 44's, the 45's are fetching much higher prices.

I admit I take extra special care of mine, but I still use it as it was meant to be used.

IMO the Anaconda's revolvers win "The Revolver of the 20th Century" award, they really have no competition. I remember reading an article that said if the Anaconda had been released 10 years earlier, Harry Callahan would have been carrying one, I have to agree......
  8. bobkk

bobkk Member

Like my python I shoot it. Bought it used 20 some years ago. Ever who owned it before I got it let it get three rust spots on it. They are small but noticeable to me. But I bought it to shoot.
  9. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I have a 6" Anaconda in .45 Colt. This was the first gun I bought back in 1994. I know it's worth more than I paid for it, but how does someone NOT shoot a nice gun? I just bought gear to start reloading and even saved my brass from back then. Ill never get rid of this gun, matter of fact, my youngest (11 yr old) says," Dad, when you die, Id like to have your Colt .45" The boy was taught well.;)
  10. LarryT

LarryT New Member

I just picked up a Colt Anaconda, 8" - in the process of cleaning it up, I found a few
    rust spots that I'm having a hard time removing. One is on the stainless - small brown spot and the other is involves the trigger - one side only and the inside of the trigger guard.

bobkk - Have you had any luck removing the rust? If so, what did you do?
  11. bobkk

bobkk Member

No luck removing them. I'll just put up the spots.
  12. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Well-Known Member

Just moved my father and found the nreceipt of the PYTHON he gave me years ago. What a find. Doesn't have the price on it though of what he paid. He seems to think it was like $350. Serial # is 409xxE. I'll try to find picks.
    By the way, I found the receipt in his BIBLE.
  13. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

please say you kept the factory grips.

excuse me know, I have to have some private time to lust after your gun....
  14. ejkoechling

Her are some pics

Attached Files:

15. ejkoechling

PLEASE tell me their factory grips. Gun was given to me by my father some 15-20 years ago. He purchased it 1-21-87