Colt Automatic, Cal. 25--Worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by GoneCountryInTN, Apr 16, 2009.

1. GoneCountryInTN

GoneCountryInTN New Member

I inherited two Colt 25s when my dad passed away. I wanted to know what they are worth.

1) Description: Chrome with woodgrain inserts screwed on the handle. Writing on one side of the barrel: "Model P-25, Cal. 25 Automatic, Made in USA". Other side of barrel: "Raven Arms, Industry, CA". has clip with it.

2) Description: Black metal with plastic brown inserts on the handle. On one side of the handle, there is a logo with a horse on it with 'Colt' written above the horse. There is a release button below the logo for the clip. Clip included. Writing on one side of the barrel: "Colt's PT. F. A. Mfg. Co, Hartford, CT, USA (a horse icon). Other side of the barrel: "Colt Automatic, Caliber 25". Horse logo on handle. Has clip with "Cal. 25, Colt" written on the bottom of it.

I would like to sell these two and get either a shotgun or another pistol. I just moved to the country where there are a lot of coyotes and I don't know about crime yet. Either way, can you recommend a good shotgun?

Thanks for your help,
    Candy
  2. Goody

Goody Member

The first one, the Raven, is not worth much, maybe $50 in really good shape. The second one, the Colt is a much higher quality firearm. I would expect that one to be $250-325. Maybe higher because all things Colt have risen in price the last several years.

As far as a shotgun, it will depend on your intended use, and your previous experience. If you haven't shot one before I would find the nearest firing range and talk to the people running it. Lots of them have programs to help new folks become familiar with the safe handling of firearms. They can also point you in the right direction for disposing of your current guns and getting you fixed up with what you want for future needs. I hope I am not being too presumptious, but it doesn't sound as though you have shot much, if at all.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the colt sounds like a vest pocket 25 acp. is it hammerless ? does it have a grip safety ? if it is a vest pocket model depending on condition. in 50 to 70 % condition 250 to 300 . in 80 to 90 % up to 400
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

yep you're correct again sir. not a bad gun and even though it's not really a colt (astra made). it's a fine little 25. value = they seem to go for any where from 300 to 400 for one in average condition i just saw it's bother the astra cub in a case at my local store sell for 325 in about 75% condition.
  6. johnboat

johnboat New Member

all i can tell u is if it is a hammer model it will likely have slightly higher energy and range and accuraccy i have owned both, rember the smaller guns are really only designed to buy enough time to get to a larger one the thing about the blued model most if it has been shot much the chamber wallers out and then it functions mostly as a single shot and may need to be manually cycled the last time i checked barrell was not available ,just make sure if u choose to carr this very portable firearm that u do it leagle ,
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Johnboat
    Velocity, range and accuracy has nothing to do with whether a gun has a hammer or not.
    Chambers don't "wallow out".
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Thanks for the clarification, Bill. I sure get tired hearing about chambers doing that wallowing thing. Haha
  9. johnboat

johnboat New Member

well bill i beg to differ the crono dont lie and neither does the gell or the explosion it seems to me in my study and comparision that diffrent models do in fact not tryin to cause a pissin match here and i mean no disrespect but at one time i owned 5 diffrent ones and after about 500 rounds the evidence is conclusive there is one called a superior that has a internal hammer and in fact it is superior even though the barrell was shorter it was more accurate and had more velocity as the hammer stays in lock up slightly longer its kinda like the difrence seen between auto eject and bolt rifles of the samecaliber ,the walther vest pocket model 25 actually was weaker and it has no hammer all these are fun to shoot and i hope this guy enjoys his as much as i do mine sincerly
  10. johnboat

johnboat New Member

ok maybe wallow aint propper english so what if it is hillbilly speak for wear
  11. johnboat

johnboat New Member

dear bill and bert i truly mean no disrespect here but i just found this site while lookin at a savage posting Http://vintagepistols.com/1907/index .html this site has a copy of manual about the 1907 savage that describes my experiance and findings seems some one figured this same thing out long before i came along ,makes no diffrence to me weather or not u beleive it or not, respectivly .:)
  12. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The Savage manual is talking about locked breech pistols, not hammer automatics.
  13. johnboat

johnboat New Member

and the breach on a hammer type stays locked slightly longer wich has effectivly the same effect it just is more noticable in these dimunitive calibers
  14. moe66

moe66 New Member

I have a FN 25 cal vest pocket first run in about 95 % blue, can any body tell me the aprox. value ? serial number in the 45000. I know this was their first run, only has the grip safety.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The later Colt .25's were not marked that way. The easy way to tell is the serial number. The Astra-made guns have a "CC" prefix; the guns with US made frames and Astra parts have an "OD" prefix. The Model 1908 serial number has no prefix or suffix.

The Model 1908 in NIB condition can go over $800, with an average of about $400; the Astra-made .25's run around $300 NIB, but average around $250. The combination guns go for around $200.

The FN Model 1905 .25 can go over $600 if NIB (very uncommon) and average around $350 in good shape. The later ones with the manual safety run about $50 less on average. FWIW, that gun is not the "Baby Browning", which is a later and very different pistol.

Now an interesting point. Yes, a hammer pistol, depending on design, can remain locked a bit longer than a striker pistol because the design of the hammer and the way it contacts the slide can delay opening. Some folks may recall the discussion of the shape of the firing pin stop on a 1911, and whether it can delay slide opening and/or affect the felt recoil. And the Astra blowback autos in 9mm P and 9mm Largo were successful in part because their hammers were designed to function at a mechanical disadvantage, thus acting to retard the blowback action. The Condor (Astra 800) uses a conventional hammer and has had problems with powerful ammunition.

Does any slight delay caused by the hammer of a blowback pistol result in an increase in velocity? I don't think so, since a blowback is normally designed so the breech does not begin to open until the bullet has left the barrel. (High speed photos prove this.) What happens to the slide is irrelevant at that point. The locked breech was not designed to increase velocity; it was designed as the easiest way (without an increase in weight) to prevent the gun from opening too soon and blowing pieces of brass all over the place.

The only way to determine the answer to the velocity question would be to test dozens of otherwise identical guns with carefully controlled ammunition, and I know of no such tests. I am inclined to think that a test with a very few guns does not provide conclusive proof, since so many other factors, such as barrel dimensions, can be involved.

Jim