Colt Challenger value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by morsecode, Oct 14, 2005.

1. morsecode

morsecode New Member

I was given this gun 8 years ago when a friend passed away and his family couldn't tell me anything about it. It's a Colt Challenger 22 auto with a serial # of 4-C

I have been able to determine that it would've been mfg on the first day of production in 1950 as the serial #'s for Challenger began with 1-C.

I was told by a local gunshop owner it would grade 90% or a little higher, slight blueing loss on the backstrap, but he wouldn't venture a guess on the serial # value. The plastic grips are mismatched - right side is multi colored plastic, left side is more of a plain brown. No box, no papers to go with it. Does have 2 original magazines.

I guess my question is does this gun have significant collector value - that I shouldn't be out shooting it? It shoots fine, by the way. I've seen a range of values for Challengers in the $250 to $450 area...am I making too big a deal out of the low serial number?

Thanks, Rob
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Morsecode........welcome to TFF! :)

The Pre-Woodsman and early Woodsman series have started to become quite collectable, the later series a bit less so.

The Challenger and Huntsman Models, being less expensive, haven't reached collector status yet........but in the future, who knows? If they ever do, your serial # 4-C (probably the first day of production in 1950), would be among the top in value. You might even want to consider getting a Colt letter.

If I were you, I'd start looking around for a set of the correct grips (try Ebay or Gunbroker and check back often).

If you want to shoot it occasionally....why not? But.......try to keep it in it's present condition and take good care of it. It may someday start to increase in value. As I said, who knows?

Current Blue Book value.......

98% - $495
    95% - $325
    90% - $250
    80% - $225

BTW......there's a reproduction of Colt Challenger Instruction Manual on Ebay for $5 right now.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Colt-Challenger...goryZ383QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also a few magazine Ads in the $5-$6 range:

http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.c...rting-Goods_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR4QQsacatZ382
  3. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Xracer - Thanks for the info. Yes, I have already requested a letter from Colt though it may be several months before I get it. I have been looking around for the correct grips...they must be out there somewhere. I'm in no particular hurry. And thanks for the links - I'll check them out.

Rob
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

5. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Excellent...But I already went ahead and bought the repro hard copy for $5. There's an auction running now for an original box with original instructions going around $600. Oh yes, a 6" barreled Challenger is included :rolleyes: Too bad it's 6" or I may have bought it just for the grip I need, the box, and papers. Probably too much to hope for finding these items on their own that doesn't include a well cared for Challenger. But if a complete set ever does turn up - I need the 4 1/2" labeled box - and the price is not too crazy I might go for it.

Rob