Colt Cobra vs. Colt Dectetive revolvers

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Cowbuddy406, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Cowbuddy406

Cowbuddy406 New Member

Hello fellow gun owners. I am new to this forum and hope I can get some helpful insight as to choosing a lightweight quality revolver for personal carry. I have a very nice SIG P245 with night sites that is a great shooter and I have all the confidence in the world in it. However, it is heavy. I am a Colt fan, always have been and always will be. So I have decided to purchase a second concealed carry handgun, a revolver, and like the Colt Agent, Cobra and Detective Special models. The Agent and Cobra are lightweight, 14 and 15 oz. respectivly, while the Detective comes in at 21 oz. My question is how much difference would I notice between the lighter weight Colt vs. the Detective? Since the Detective is all steel I do tend to lean towards it but if I received enough feedback that the Cobra, or Agent, was the cat's meow, I would probably go to the Cobra (or Agent).

Please let me hear from those of you who have some experience in working with or carrying both models.

Thanking you in advace,

Cowbuddy406
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

you'll notice about 6 oz of difference :D, but seriously i'd go with the cobra, the extra weight of the detective special will wear on you, but consider this it'll hold up longer . if you plan on shooting it a little but carry it alot go lighter. now the debate is still on going about +P's in the cobra, but again if you plan on shoting it hardly go lighter . but if you practice alot not only will the steel frame hold up better it'll also soak up recoil better. the grip frame on the agent doesn't fit me well so between the 3 you listed i'd stay away from the smaller grip of the agent but thats just me your hands might fit it better.. now yet another choice if you want to stay with a colt if you elect to go with the detective consider the lawman with a 2 in barrel. you'll have a 357 mag option.
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I agree with the above. For comfortable shooting, a heavier firearm is always the best choice. For carry comfort, a lighter frame is the way to go.

Oh! Welcome to the forum, too! :D
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Just curious why two revolvers that are no longer made?
  5. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Because he¨is a Colt fan?
  6. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I accidently shot +p in my cobra and will not be doing it again. Nothing happened but I do not think it would do it very many times. mine is a 1961 and well used, so that might be why it did not do so well with them.
  7. BigEasy

BigEasy New Member

I carry concealed everyday in my front pocket either a Colt Cobra
    or a Detective Special. The weight difference is not noticeable.
    They are both very well made and great shooters.

I carry in an Uncle Mike's holster in my front pocket. I carry in jeans,
    khakis, cargo shorts or any other pants. If I wear a suit, the Colt
    and holster fit perfectly into a inside pocket

Good Luck,

Thanks,

Dan
  8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I know and they are both excellent it's just with a current model you get warranty coverage and support. I passed on a new stainless dick special in the 90's and have kicked my own butt ever since. My SP101 has filled the void and is a great carry piece but it would be nice to have the Det Spl as well.
  9. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I'm a Colt fan too. I carry a Detective Special all the time. I load it with normal pressure 158 grain hollowpoints. The grips are rosewood replicas.

Attached Files:

10. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

JMOfartO:

I have two Cobra's and one DS.

The DS is a pretty sucker..

When I chose to carry a Colt snubby for cc the Cobra's get the nod every time.

The difference in weight between the Cobra and DS may not sound like a big deal, but FOR ME, it "feels" like a big deal.

Both revolvers are in my opinion the "high water" mark for American made snubby's.

You won't be disappointed with either..

Just personal opinion, no offense to those who might disagree.

Best Wishes,

jesse

P.S. And, blasphemy: I find the J-frame Smith 638 Airweight Bodyguard a better choice than ANY snubby I've ever owned. The 638 has a much better very light target trigger (smooth vs serrated) and is S W E E T... Add Crimson Trace Lasergrips and it's about as good a small revolver as you will ever find.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]