Colt Commader or 44mag?

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

scattergun590
    (11/25/01 8:21:31 am)
    | Edit | Del All Colt Commader or 44mag?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi everbody,help out the new guy

I'm thinking about getting a new Commader for CCW.
    1911 is by far the best handgun for me but I was thinking if I only get 6 round mags maybe a .44mag or even.357 mag would be just as good.

Feedback please.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/25/01 8:27:11 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Colt Commader or 44mag?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome aboard.

Power-wise they probably would be. The 1911 is going to be thinner and have a more concealable profile.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (11/25/01 8:55:01 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Colt Commader or 44mag?
    Welcome aboard.
    I carry a Colt Commander everyday with a Wilson 8 round mag. + 1 round in the chamber. Nine rounds, cocked and locked.

scattergun590
    (11/25/01 9:21:50 am)
    Really? I had a 1991A1 commader and it came with 6 round mags and I was never able to use the others.

Ever time I would put in a 7 or 8 rounder it would go up to far and stop the side,how do you keep it from doing this?

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (11/25/01 12:34:56 pm)
    Since the Commander has a full sized grip, I have always used 7 - 8 round mags in mine. I have never seen a six round mag for a commander.
    You could have had a Colt Compact model. The grip is .375" shorter and only holds six rounds.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/25/01 3:09:12 pm)
    If I had to choose, I'd pick the 1911. Without going into much detail, you would have other concerns with the 44 and 357, such as over penetration then the added law suits because you took down the bad guy but also took out someone or something else. Remember a jury will have hours and days and sometimes even months to decide if what you did was just. You will have only a few precious seconds. It goes into much much more detail than what I can type at this time. The main thing though is carry what ever you feel the most comfortable and confident in.
    Because what ever you do in them few split seconds could change your life forever.

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/25/01 3:57:22 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Welcome Scattergun590:
    I have a 1911 that carries very nicely.
    Just one problem, my wife fell in love with it...
    now it seems like I can't get it back anyway nohow!
    She won't take it out of her Bra....
    You know how it is...
    The shortest word "no" , requires the longest thought.
    We, here at TFF are, surely blessed with a mighty group of people
    having the uncanny ability to know many facts, with intelligennce thrown in for your benefit. ENJOY.
    Charlie D
    They have horse sense to...and know when to say "nay".

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/25/01 7:56:33 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Welcome Aboard scattergun590!

I would go with the 1911 line of carry, although
    I do carry a Smith Mod 60 sometimes in a inside
    the pants holster and it is rather comfortable but
    the .45 has the best stoping power and rarely will
    exit a hostile target.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/26/01 9:39:21 am)
    | Edit | Del Colt or 44mag
    First, scattergun, Welcome to the board. jmtcw. The 1911 is by far the easer to carry. I personnaly love the 44mag for its stopping power, but the 45 is so much easer to hide. unless you happen to be the size of my brother, 6 ft 11inches. 320lbs. stay with the 1911.
    loader44.

BlackGun
    (11/26/01 2:30:35 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Colt or 44mag
    Hey Bud, I welcomed you in another thread, but, again welcome. Just my humble opinion, get both! Then your set for what ever occasion!
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN