Colt D A 38 - Model what?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Tower Dog, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Tower Dog

Tower Dog New Member

Can anybody tell me which model this is?
    It says:
    COLT'S PT F A MFG CO
    HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.

It is 38 Cal and says:
    Colt D.A. 38 on the barrel.
    Last patent date is January 19, 1875.
    There are no other markings on the gun other than the serial number.

Any help would be greatly appriciated! :D

[​IMG]
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It's called The Double Action Model AKA Model 1877 AKA in 38 caliber The Lightning, also because of the short barrel " the Sheriff Model or Store Keepers Model "
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a Colt double action revolver, Model 1877, often called the "Lightning", although Colt didn't use either term. Its .41 caliber version was called the "Thunderer", also an unofficial term. Original finishes were blue with a color case hardened frame, and nickel plating. The black hard rubber grips were standard.

That gun has been hard used and is in poor condition. Those guns were fragile and are often found with broken parts and non-functional. In spite of its problems, the gun was fairly popular, and some 166,849 were made from 1877 to 1909; serial numbers below 111,500 were made before 1 Jan 1898 and are antiques under Federal law. With the serial number, we could tell you the year of manufacture.

Value in that condition is around $500, perhaps a bit more if fully functional.

Caliber is .38 Long Colt, but I strongly recommend against firing it due to the high probablility of something breaking if that has not happened already.

(I am sure someone will mention that Billy the Kid reportedly carried a Colt Lightning; he was perhaps better at killing than he was at judging firearms qualilty.)

Jim
  4. Tower Dog

Tower Dog New Member

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
    I knew you'd have the answers I was looking for. Thanks so much for the info.

My wife inherited it when her father passed. Just trying to figure out what it was for sure and what if anything to do with it.

The guns has been fired as recently as early 1990's, though not by me.

According to Proofhouse.com, it was made in 1882.

Thanks again for the info!! You guys are great! :)