Colt DA 38 Nickel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by submerj, Jul 20, 2011.

1. submerj

submerj New Member

I was given this gun by my father who got it from my mothers father. It appears to be in great shape and I am sure it has not been fired in 40+ years. I love guns but I am sure there is a collector out there that can truly appreciate a pistol like this. I would like to know the model, date of manufacture, and the potential value. Any help would be appreciated.

Top of barrel:
    COLT'S PT F.A. MFG CO HARTFORD CT U.S.A.
    PATENTED AUG.5.1884 JULY4, 1905 OCT 5, 1926

Side of Barrel:
    COLT D.A. 38

Open chamber and 7536 on both the main frame and the swing out arm.

Attached Files:

2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The plating on that gun appears to be chrome. If so, it will significantly affect the value of your Colt as it is not original.
    If it was Nickel and factory - the trigger and hammer would not be plated. Chromium plating of older guns to "spiff" them up was a common occurence after WW2 into the 1960s and many collectible guns were treated and collector value diminished.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

I agree, too shiny for Nickel.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun is a New Army and Navy Model. The number on the crane and frame is an assembly number. The serial number should be on the butt, but apparently was removed* at the same time the lanyard swivel was removed and the hole plugged. It might have been a post-1895 Navy contract gun with the Navy butt markings removed, or a civilian model. Since markings have been removed in polishing it for plating, only a close examination would tell which. (Lanyard loops were an option on civilian models and many police guns have them.)

The grips are not original - they are for the Army Special revolver.

*Bad news, as it is illegal under Federal law to possess a firearm from which the serial number has been removed. I doubt that would be a big concern to anyone, and the gun may be an antique (pre-1899) but it needs to be noted.

Jim
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused with the "OCT 5, 1926" date on the barrel if it is a New Army & Navy. This model was produced only until around 1907. The Army Special that replaced it was in production in 1926, but had a different cylinder release. Possibly a parts gun????
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I noticed that but forgot to mention it. The barrel and ejector rod head are from a Colt Official Police. Sorry for the omission.

Jim