Colt Defender or Springfield armory?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Neil, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Neil

Neil New Member

I am now looking for a 1911 and I like both the colt defender and springfield armory olive drab green military style model....what is a better choice? I have shot a defender before and carried it for a day and liked it..........but had to give it back cause it was my buddy's....such a tease :p. I don't know much about Springfeild armorys guns other than what they say on there website.

Thanks for the help.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

3. punchie

punchie Member

50 years from now the Defender will still be a Colt the others won't!!!
  4. Neil

Neil New Member

Punchie, not to be rude but what do you mean? colt will still be made by colt and others won't be made by there original makers? did I miss it or get it dead on?

Oh and I Picked up a SA yesterday, guess it was manufactured in Brazil, what's up with that? it shoots very nice though.
  5. punchie

punchie Member

My comment was not a jab at the other brands. Simply put, Colt has the name recognition (and resultant residual value) that many of the others will not in years to come. Colt and Winchester are the two names that will live in history for one reason or the other. Not that many, many other brands are not equal to or better than, but they will never have the name.

Congrats on your new SA. Nice guns, reasonably priced. You should have many years of enjoyment out of it.
  6. Neil

Neil New Member

I didn't think you where making a jab at them......only glocks deserve jabs... :p I understand your point now...thanks for the exp. And ya the GI .45 is dirt cheap as far as I have noticed in 1911's. I really like it so far....just time for some new grips and mags. :D
  7. Glocker

Glocker New Member

I think you're better off staying away from 1911s with barrel lengths shorter than 4". It's not that they can't be made to work, but you're more apt to have problems with them than not.