The Firearms Forum banner

Colt Delta Elite 10mm

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Shep 
#1 ·
Colt has made the Delta Elite off and on several different times over the years.
This one is from the late 90s.

#2 ·
Should you ever get tired of that thing taking up room in the safe i'll pass you my info. ;)

#3 ·
Thanks, but I`m not interested in selling it.
I figure my gun collection is part of my retirement fund. If I get too old to fool with them, they can become retirement cash. Until then I get to have lots of fun with them. :)

Reactions: RCC and raven818
#4 ·
Shep:

I hate to burst you retirement bubble but collections rarely are a good money source for retirement. For some years I collected cameras, not as an investment but because I wanted them and never expected to sell them, ever. In fact, I still have them all. It is only a couple of display cases full. Other Camera collectors found that the only people collecting were older people who were dying off so the market fell through the floor for them. Many collectors who had the thought of the collection supporting retirement got a big surprise. A wise more normal investment is what you need for retirement, not a collection whose value is based on the emotions of people.

Guns are a bit different. But take that Colt Delta Elite. The cost of guns since that gun was new have doubled so unless you can sell it for twice what you paid for it you lost on your investment. The value of collectables is based on the emotions of people. That is a poor way to insure the future of your retirement.

In general, I don’t believe in collecting for an anticipated profit. Guns are tools and need to be used. I say, buy only what you want and not guns that have excessive collector value. Shoot them all. I have a “collection” but of guns that I wanted and I shoot them all regularly. They are already designated in my will to pass on to close relatives. I own zero safe queens. You are missing the fun of shooting that beautiful Delta Elite. It is not just another 1911, mostly because it is 10mm.

I bought mine new in 1986. I shoot it but down load it to 40S&W levels. In 10mm it is exciting to shoot but I have more fun with 40S&W power levels than 10mm. In 10mm the gun recoils in a twisting manner. At 40S&W levels it handles more like a 45ACP 1911. Mine is not original . I have modified it to make it more accurate with a Group Gripper full length recoil spring guide, and a fitted bushing. I have done a drop-in trigger job. Sorry, but guns are tools made to be used, not pieces of art to live in a dark safe, in my opinion.

But you do have a nice pristine version.

This is all just my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett

#5 ·
Shep:

I hate to burst you retirement bubble but collections rarely are a good money source for retirement. For some years I collected cameras, not as an investment but because I wanted them and never expected to sell them, ever. In fact, I still have them all. It is only a couple of display cases full. Other Camera collectors found that the only people collecting were older people who were dying off so the market fell through the floor for them. Many collectors who had the thought of the collection supporting retirement got a big surprise. A wise more normal investment is what you need for retirement, not a collection whose value is based on the emotions of people.

Guns are a bit different. But take that Colt Delta Elite. The cost of guns since that gun was new have doubled so unless you can sell it for twice what you paid for it you lost on your investment. The value of collectables is based on the emotions of people. That is a poor way to insure the future of your retirement.

In general, I don't believe in collecting for an anticipated profit. Guns are tools and need to be used. I say, buy only what you want and not guns that have excessive collector value. Shoot them all. I have a "collection" but of guns that I wanted and I shoot them all regularly. They are already designated in my will to pass on to close relatives. I own zero safe queens. You are missing the fun of shooting that beautiful Delta Elite. It is not just another 1911, mostly because it is 10mm.

I bought mine new in 1986. I shoot it but down load it to 40S&W levels. In 10mm it is exciting to shoot but I have more fun with 40S&W power levels than 10mm. In 10mm the gun recoils in a twisting manner. At 40S&W levels it handles more like a 45ACP 1911. Mine is not original . I have modified it to make it more accurate with a Group Gripper full length recoil spring guide, and a fitted bushing. I have done a drop-in trigger job. Sorry, but guns are tools made to be used, not pieces of art to live in a dark safe, in my opinion.

But you do have a nice pristine version.

This is all just my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett
Some are very good investments. Others will at least keep up with inflation, which is better than you can say for some investments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.