Colt Derringer 22 short

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by RTCLIFFORD, Jul 9, 2008.

1. RTCLIFFORD

RTCLIFFORD New Member

I bought this gun about 3 years ago at an auction, and I am trying to find out what the approx value would be.

This is a Colt Derringer 22 Cal. Short, serial #67579D, it has about 10% holster wear on the barrel, the holster is original with a Colt insignia stamped in it. It has a blue barrel, with a nickel frame, it has no cracks in the walnut grips, inside the barrel is slick with no pitting, it opens to the side, and it is in working condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi RTCLIFFORD.....welcome to TFF. :)

Yours is a modern, 4th Model, Colt Derringer, made from 1959 to 1963.

Blue Book value (% = amount of original finish left):

100% - $100
    98% - $85
    95% - $65
    90% - $60
    80% - $55

The holster would add to the value, but I don't know how much.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Colt really pulled a fast one with this little pistol. It is possibly the cheapest quality Colt that was ever made. The frame and barrel are made of pot metal, but they did use a steel barrel liner. Xracer's info is right on. If it didn't have Colt's name on it, it would bring far lower prices. Hope you didn't pay too much for this clunker.
  4. KatzAnova

KatzAnova New Member

This is my first attempt to post a question, so forgive me if it is wrong. I have the same Colt Deringer, only it's seriel number is #28868D. You said RTCLIFFORD's, seriel #67579D, was 4th model, made from 1959 - 1963.

My question: Since my seriel number is much earlier (I think), are there any differences in the two deringers? re: value, time manufactured, model #?

Thanks.... Michael
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i do believe these were not made by colt but rather by some company in europe for colt. much like the colt jr 25/22 short was made by astra. and later by fie marketed as "the best"
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

They were not made by Colt, but I doubt they were made in Europe. These exact guns were available after 1968 as "Butler" and "EMF" brands, so they were probably US made.
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Michael.....welcome to TFF. :)

Your Colt Derringer is still a 4th Model. All 4th Models carried a "D" serial number suffix. Your lower serial # only indicates that it was made earlier in the 1959 to 1963 time frame than RTCLIFFORD's example. Total production (D suffix) about about 89727.

Value (depending on condition) would be exactly the same as I posted for his.

Blue Book value (% = amount of original finish left):

100% - $100
    98% - $85
    95% - $65
    90% - $60
    80% - $55
  8. emfoster

emfoster New Member

My dad also has what you all have been previously been talking about. A Colt Derringer 22 short 4th. He has the set of 2. They came orginally together. You stated that the suffix D meant 4th. Is this still true? On the value part, would it just be based per gun or as a set?
  9. OldPilgrim

OldPilgrim New Member

They came in sets of 2 (Mr & Mrs sets) and also one at a time, like mine.

[​IMG]
  10. jon2be

jon2be New Member

22 short vestpocket

11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Don't know what information you are looking for. New in the box, maybe 100. used at all A whole lot less. Made for Colt by Butler Arms Of new York. Very soft metal, not really a working or carrying firearm. A toy or display item. not all of them had steel linings in the barrel and after a few shots the barrel would be stripped of rifling. The only way they have any value at all is new, untouched or handled, still in their display box. For something the has the name Colt on it, really a cheap item.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  12. deanos74

deanos74 New Member

i have one just like it it loads from the side the barrel twists out to load but it has pearl grips?
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Same gun, same advise, same information. The grips are genuine faux Pearl These were more of a display item or toy. They were never meant to be a working firearm. The only way they have any real value is new, unfired, untouched in the box.:rolleyes:
  14. jimmers

jimmers New Member

Hi, I have a set of Lord & Lady Colt derringers in a presentation case. Never been fired. One has a pearl handle, the other wood. They were given by a Procter and Gamble Sales Manager as a sales prize. Neither gun opens to load. Is anyone familiar with this situation. I am interested in selling the set, but want it to function properly. I know the barrel opens by twisting, but it seems to be locked. Local gunsmith couldn't figure it out. Anyone know the answer to this problem? Jimmers
  15. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You have to pull the hammer back to release the barrel.