colt derringer

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mojo racing, Aug 27, 2009.

1. mojo racing

mojo racing New Member

just recieved a colt derringer as a gift it has a nickel frame and the barrel is kind of a worn black. I was wondering what kind of finish the black barrel actually is. It looks like someone tried to polish a bit of it so i kinda wanted to put it back to original. Any ideas? Seems like a piece of junk but kinda interesting. I think it was made in the sixties. by the way it is .22 short and says colts pfa mfg. co. inc.htfd. ct. u.s.a. on the side and COLT on top of the barrel
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

First and foremost these were not made to be carried loaded. Their safety system is very weak and subject to failure if dropped on to a hard surface with a round chambered. If you are going to shoot it; shoot it immediately after loading. Otherwise, leave it empty. Better safe; than sorry.

To the best of my recollection the pistols have die cast zinc alloy frames and likely a die cast zinc alloy barrel with a steel liner. I believe that were made in several finish configurations. They were often plated with several possible metals including nickel, and gold. I seem to remember gold barrels on one variant.

In any case they were not really intended to be shot (just be pretty collector items); but of course they will shoot, and some persons actually loaded and carried them (definitely not advised, as a safe practice). I suspect that your pistol is likely one of these, from your description..

It will likely cost more to return your gun to original finish specs, today. than it is worth. While zinc die castings can be electroplated, the process is more involved than it is for steel. The EPA has run many small specialty shops out of business. The ones who are "grandfathered in" and remain do not usually work cheap when doing "one or two piece" jobs.

Good luck.
  3. mojo racing

mojo racing New Member

it had a black barrel that was worn. I was wondering what kind of coating the black was