colt detective special

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by basket, Mar 13, 2013.

1. basket

basket New Member

i have a 2nd gen. detective special chambered in 32 special . the problem is that the serial no. looks like it is scribed with a engraver or something , the numbers are R 3651 the 1 at the end could possibly be a 9 . you can only read the numbers with a 20x jewelers loup. any ideas ? thanks, basket
  2. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

The factory serial number won't be engraved like that.

Colt didn't use hand engravers. The factory numbers may be under the grip
    there wasn't a detective special that had a serial number that began with an "R" to my knowledge

the numbers you are seeing are likely from a police department
    it could be their own inventory number they assigned it

keep looking for the factory number

oh and welcome to the forum:)
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

If it's not under the grips it may be inside the frame and you might see it when you swing the cylinder out.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

can u post a picture
  5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Every Colt D frame revolver I've ever seen had its serial stamped just below the barrel in the crane recess area of the frame. If the revolver was stolen at some point, and subsequently recovered with serial number defaced or otherwise scrubbed, I recall cases many, many years back wherin ATF authorized a new number. Who did the numbering I don't know, nor do I know whether this practice is still current procedure.
  6. basket

basket New Member

yeah, i've looked under the grips too but it the only numbers on it , the numbers wont show up with a camera . thanks
  7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Whats on the frame under the crane???
  8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

someone post a pic for him with a arrow so he kniws where to look

if it doesn't have one its the first I've seen
  9. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

What numbers are do you have where this has them?

[​IMG]
  10. basket

basket New Member

oops
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  11. DeeDubya

DeeDubya Member

You can easily see where the original serial number was filed off. Bad news. There is a method to lift a serial number that has been removed. The stamped numbers compress the metal and even though the surface has been removed, the numbers lie beneath. I don't remember the name of the process used to read them.
  12. basket

basket New Member

it shows that there is part of a number there but it is very smooth , and when you close it up there is no gap whatsoever. don't know , maybe a problem when stamping ? got it out of my fathers things after he passed many years ago .....may never know the deal!
  13. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

No, Colt would never let pass that way. The number has been tampered with. That's a big no no.
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

As wonderwhippet posted ( very nicely understated :) ) your Colt is illegal. It is a shame but there is no getting around the fact. If you get caught with it, your butt is grass and the police will provide the lawnmower. And please, nobody post " that if it was made prior to 1968 it doesn't need a serial number, or if it is a C&R it doesn't need a serial number and so forth:eek:. Understand, the way the law is written, the possessor of the gun is considered the guilty party { the one who is guilty of defacing or removing the serial number }.. ADDED: and no. that is not a ATF renumber.