Colt Diamond Back Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by danok, Dec 29, 2010.

1. danok

danok New Member

I inherited a 1977 Colt Diamondback, serial #7383, 38 special, 4" barrel, blue steel, xhached grips, from my father. The gun has only been fired a few times and is in new condition, except for the fact that my father, etched his name (with an electric etcher) on the gun just below colt "horse" stamp (behind the cylinder). The etching is about .005" deep by 1/4" high and 3/4" long. He feared the gun could be stolen and wanted his name on the gun for identification purposes. Not a smart thing to do value wise. What is the value of the gun? Can the etching be removed and reblued?
    danok
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yep, your old man really did a number on this desirable, collectible pistol. He knocked the value down from around $1200 to half that amount. No, to eliminate the damage it would require a complete refinishing of the entire firearm, and you would gain nothing, since it would enormously reduce the value. One solution might be to have the pistol engraved by a top notch engraver, thus covering up the damage totally. An expensive, but effective remedy.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i've been buying and selling and collecting colt revolvers for a good many years and while i fully agree that without the etching it would be worth 1200 bucks i think a more reasonable value would be around 400 now..