colt double eagle 10mm

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by carl tilley, Nov 24, 2009.

1. carl tilley

carl tilley New Member

I have a colt double eagle 10mm the side works ok with out a round in the barrel, once I put a round in the barrel the slide locks can not pull side back but can cycle rounds through by fireing. Is this normal for this model? think you for all the info you can give carl
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Carl, that doesn't sound right to me. In other words you are telling us that if you load the gun you cannot unload it without shooting it? My guess is that the ammo is a bit too long or that the chamber is a bit too short and the round is getting hung up right at the case mouth or on the bullet right where it meets the case. Like I said it is just a guess and that is where I would start looking. I would check it out by pushing the front of the slide against a piece of wood (2x4) with a hole drilled clear through it just big enough to allow the barrel to go through but not the slide causing the gun to open. This will give you far more power to open the slide than pulling on it but it is a bit dangerous because you are dealing with a live round so make damm sure where you do this in case you find the trigger and it goes off. Assuming you get it open (I believe you will) then take a close look at the round to see if there are any marks on it to suggest where it is hanging up. If you don't feel comfortable with my suggestion you might want to take the gun to a gunsmith.

Ron
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009