1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

colt/dpms are they compatable?

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by the yooper, Feb 22, 2011.

1. the yooper

the yooper New Member

hi everybody! my ? can a DPMS upper receiver be used on a colt lower. thanks for any info:confused:
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Yes.

But it's sort of like putting a Dodge Viper engine in a Kia.
  3. the yooper

the yooper New Member

gunhugger thanks for reply. another ?dpms flat top 20 in ss bull barrel . would that give me good down range performance .at 200 1 moa? dont know much about dpms.any help welcome
  4. GunHugger

I know it's best to say nothing if I can't say something nice and all that. :)
  5. wkd

wkd New Member

Have 2 DPMS heavy barrels, both are excellent shooters. Colt would be about number 4 on my list.
  6. the yooper

the yooper New Member

thanks again gunhugger. all info is helpful when maken a choice;)
  7. the yooper

the yooper New Member

wkd thanks . what i am thinking of is ,i have a colt hbar match target upper with the handle love it for open sight shooting. bet would like to get a flat top to scope for cyote hunting at dusk. i could have the best of both worlds. but i need to know how acc is that barrel .what is it capable of?:confused:
  8. GunHugger

After some thought and reading this post of yours I have a suggestion that if it were me, I would do.

You already have a good upper, the Colt Match Target. It's a good shooting 20" barrel. Going to a longer barrel isn't going to help much at all if any with accuracy. Going from a 20" to even a 26" barrel will only up the FPS by about 120FPS. IMO the longer barrel will add weight more than anything.

You want the option to shoot iron sights and use a scope. Correct?

I would buy a flat top upper, a rear BUIS (back up iron sight), a scope, and a quick detachable mount for the scope. And a free float forearm would be a nice addition but not necessary unless you are serious about consistent tight group accuracy.

This costs far less than buying a complete upper and will allow to to go from irons to scope and back to irons easier and faster and you can make the change in the field.

Here's a link to an interesting discussion on barrel length than you might want to read.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=528841

Some example pics...

This one of mine isn't a 20" but it has a flat top, BUIS, Scope with QD mount. NOTE: Old pic, that ARMS QD mount on the ACOG scope was replaced with a far better one made by LaRue Tactical. A quality QD scope mount will hold your zero when you reattach your scope.
    [​IMG]

In about 10 seconds I can remove the scope and flip up the BUIS and shoot irons.
    [​IMG]

TROY makes the best BUIS in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

I don't use irons on my 20" Armalite target AR, I just swap between an ACOG and a Weaver 4-16 scope on it. The 20" match barrel is very accurate and I see no reason at all to ever go with a longer one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You will need the following, you can go cheaper but I'm showing what I would go with for an example.

Flat top upper $99.00
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-Assembly-Flat-Top-p/flat%20top%20upper1.htm

TROY rear BUIS $119.00
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Troy-Folding-Battle-Sight-REAR-p/troy%20rear%20sight%20-%20rear.htm

LaRue scope mount. $195.00. Yes it's expensive but it's the best made IMO. You can find others for less that will also work fine. I still need to buy another one but can't seem to ever have the money for it right now.
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30

And you should have a receiver block and barrel nut wrench to swap the uppers. Good to have these tools around anyway.

Upper receiver block $35.00
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=593549

Barrel nut wrenches run around $25 - $35.

Not hard to swap out the uppers and I think you will be happier with what you have in the end.

I hope this helps give you another idea as to what you can do. Good luck.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  9. GunHugger

What did you decide Yooper?
  10. the yooper

the yooper New Member

gunhugger thanks so much for all the thought!!!! i had gave up on the thread and orderd the dpms compleat upper. but it was on back order so this gives me more thinking. it realy was a good deal i thought at 464.00$ its a 20'' SS with a target crown....:confused::confused::confused:

and yes the barrel i have now is verry accurate i'm happy with it.
    thanks again good info gunhugger:)