Colt Dragoon percussion cap sizes

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by casewhite41, Dec 26, 2007.

1. casewhite41

casewhite41 New Member

My recently purchased "F" series 3rd model Colt Dragoon currently has, I believe, #12 (cap size) factory nipples and I can't find a percussion cap to fit. I have tried #11 CCI & Remington caps but they won't even start to go on the nipple. The gun has all of the Colt markings on the frame, cylinder, and barrel and was produced, I believe, in the 1980s.

I read on another thread that Colt produced the original Dragoons with #12 size nipples and the "F" series reproductions by Colt are the same. I am thinking about replacing the nipples with #11's from Numrich or Dixie. Any suggestions?

Is there any place to buy #12 percussion caps? Does anyone still make the #12's

Thanks, DJS
  2. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

You might try Dixie Gunworks or http://www.blackpowderva.com/ most of the folks I know change the nipples or cones to a stainless type then shoot #11 CAPS
  3. dpa

dpa New Member

You are absolutely correct. The Colt Walkers and Dragoons from the 1960's and 70's used number 12 caps. I have a first Model that I have not been able to fire for about 25 years. Back then I scrounged all over Seattle, spent days looking for number 12's and came up with maybe a dozen tins that had been squirreled away in various gun shops. I bought them all. They were all so old even back then they would not fire. (Maybe one in twenty was good.)

You may be able to find nipples to fit your original but I doubt it. The threads on the original nipples are different from any I have found. There is a solution however and I just did it last week. Order a new cylinder from Dixie. It comes with the nipples already installed. They are also different from the originals but who cares? A new cylinder has the advantage of keeping your original Colt cylinder pristine and allows you to put the wear and tear on the replacement. If you get mixed up as to which one is your original and which is the replacement just look for the serial number on the cylinder. The original has a serial number and the replacement has none. Otherwise they are both identical, except for the nipple threads of course. I would remove the nipples from the original, grease the threads and then reinstall them loosely so they won't bind up over time.

A first Model cylinder is about $65.00 but the 2nd and 3rd Model cylinders are only about $48.00 plus S&H.

Hope this helps. If you do find replacement nipples to fit your original I would like to know where to get them.

DPA