Colt Gold Cup National Match

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Smokin Guns, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

In gp's other thread I showed this Pic...seems as if everyone agree's it should be sought after. I'm just curious what technically makes it worth getting...I know nuthin' about many things, and 1911's are in the mix also...I had a Springfield V-16 that I picked up from shooter22, but let it go to someone who wanted it worse than me. It was a well made shooter, but it never felt that comfortable...Can any of y'all help with this decision...Thanks!...;)

Attached Files:

2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Smokin, first of all, the ejection port is already lowered and flared. The trigger is much better than stock and the rear and front sights are different. It is a more hand worked model to get the accuracy up. There are only two recommendations I have for the gold cup.

1) Change the roll pin holding the sight down to a solid pin and do it right now. They always break during the middle of a match and the sight goes zinging off into space.

2) Change the finger bushing to a solid bushing.

Now you will have a very nice competition 45 Auto. Happy shooting.

Other than that, ifn ya needs someone to break it in, send it South! I will keep it with my other 45's so it won't feel lonely. :D :D :D
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Thanks IPT...!...;)
  4. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

SG, is that a 70's series? If so, they are more sought after as shooters as well as collectors..

Why I ask, my 80 series had a skeletonized trigger.

The contributing factor in making that decission, is the actual overall condition and the price tag.
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

nice looking gun mbut i have to say i am not a colt fan , i find the metal is to soft for my abuse ,the last one i had was a officers acp in stainless ,i swear you could sratch the metal with your finger nail , i took it back ,got my 629 i have now
  6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

gp, What 629 ya got...point me to it! Too late fer me on the Colt...went ahead and got it, had a hole for a .45 and went for it...;) Probably over paid for it, it won't be the first time though...:(
  7. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Thanks for the advice IPT, When the fella gets here, i'll change out the parts ya mention...!...;)
  8. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

top one sg

Attached Files:

9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Reckon it's time for y'all and I to have a shootin' match gp!...;)

Attached Files:

10. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

BTW, Those are some mighty fine lookin' Pistols!...;)
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Smokey......you didn't get hurt on that Gold Cup. Looks like a 70 series or earlier.....and they're very, very desirable.

If it's all original, it has a 14 lb. recoil spring (for target loads)......if you're going to shoot full-powered loads, you might want to get a 16 lb. spring for it.

Don't worry if you paid a little much for it......it's a genuine COLT and the value will only go up!.
  12. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Thanks Xracer...I just hope it's a good shooter and ends up on my "wanna keep it" list... ;)
  13. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Shootin match , seams a bit unfair don’t it ??

No one mentioned a handi-cap match {lol}

i had a matching 629 w/3" barrel i regret parting with ,but had to at the time

the 629 and the 686 are both factory grips ,the centinial is not ,it came with uncle mikes boot grip , i had to make it match the others
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

FWIW, the hardball spring is an 18# spring.
  15. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Thanks Terry!...Have you got one of these?...;)