Colt Goverment Question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 9, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

b9904
    (10/21/02 8:13:49 am)
    Reply Colt Goverment Question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    guys,
    a dealer is selling me a colt goverment, the original US Military Sidearm.

the thing is... how would i know if its a clone or an original?

it has a US Goverment Property marking on the side, it matches with the picture i saw on the colt website... but.. how can i REALLY be sure?

btw, the pistol was left here by the GI's when they left Clark Airbase... but i am not really sure about that... a friend just speculated.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/21/02 9:57:04 am)
    Re: Colt Goverment Question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GI's just left it behind??? Something smells here. I have seen an entire base turned upside down looking for a nonexistent M16 before.

It might be an original GI gun. One of the experts on them will be able to tell you more than I can.

I do know that just because it says Government model does not make it a government owned gun. Even my MKIV Series 70 says Government Model.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/21/02 10:07:56 am)
    Reply Re: Colt Goverment Question
    b9904

Welcome, I may have missed you in the flurry of new folks posting.

In order to get an idea of what you have, a good complete description of this pistol will be needed.

Type of finish and color
    "All" markings (Complete as the appear and location)
    Type of grips (wood/plastic)
    The serial number (you can "X" out the last two or three digits)

Regards

LTS

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/21/02 3:20:11 pm)
    WWII M1911A1s were made by Colt, Ithaca, Remington Rand, Union Switch & Signal, and Singer (rare).

The military contract non-Colt M1911A1s are not considered clones or copies, but genuine U.S. military issue guns.....just as valuable as the Colt made ones. All should have a parkerized finish.

As LTS says, give us all of the markings on the gun, and a full description of it.

Your "left behind" gun probably "left" the base in somebody's "behind" pocket, at one time or another.

Edited by: Xracer at: 10/21/02 4:26:27 pm

b9904
    (10/21/02 6:23:49 pm)
    Here is the description of my gun:

Added info:

I havent seen a parkerized finish before but... my taurus is blued but the finish on the colt both on the frame and slide are much smoother than my taurus.

the description of the gun: it has on the left side of the slide "Goverment" below that "MODEL" beside them "" (taking 2 lines and in BIG LETTERS) right of the "COLT" mark is "Automatic" below that "CALIBER .45" and the picture of a stallion or a horse beside right of the "automatic caliber .45".
    On the Right side of the slide is "GOVERMENT MODEL". on the right side of the frame is "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" below that is the serial number across that is "M1911A1 U.S. Army"

the grip have been replaced by something else...a plastic pachmayrs grips

it has a beaver tail grip and all the features i saw on colts website of thier classic 1911's.

the serial number is 3548XX (note there rae only six digits)

i hope you guys arent confused with my description.

the price is $400, its a second hand gun.

Additional Info:

i'll include the info's on the mag maybe this will give us some help

19200-
    ASSY 5506894
    MFR. 1M291

Also the barrel info:

“-COLT .45 AUTO-“ it’s located at the brass ejection part of the gun- the part after you fire it the bullet exits that part… sorry I don’t know what that area is called. I cant see the insides because I cant field strip / disasemble the gun

Sight Info:

The sights are: Front: Ramped / Parallel, Rear: Square notched

regarding the "left behind thing" i have no idea about it.

Edited by: b9904 at: 10/23/02 3:56:48 am

b9904
    (10/21/02 6:27:07 pm)
    btw, someone told me before that there is a website that can verify authenticity of a gun just by entering the serial number or looking it by yourself on a chart.

do any of you guys know this? if so... can you give me the website address?

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/21/02 6:43:15 pm)
    Is that all of the serial number?

That serial number would put production in 1918...if it were not an A1. A1's should all have higher serial numbers than that...

Of course, I am an amateur...not an expert...or an S-pert.

And $400...sounds fishy to me.

"A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"
    Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

Edited by: boomatic at: 10/21/02 7:47:50 pm

b9904
    (10/22/02 1:53:44 am)
    boomatic:

i left the last 2 numbers out.

it is an A1.

maybe we should wait for more people to comment on this one.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/22/02 8:18:37 am)
    b9904......Here are a few places to look....

usgi1911.tripod.com/ (everything you want to know about military M1911 & A1)

usgi1911.tripod.com/SN.html (serial #s)

www.sightm1911.com/ and click on "Production". (serial #s)

www.m1911.org/full_dates.htm (and more serial #s)

Have fun!

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/22/02 8:22:19 am)
    There are two numbers beyond the XX? I was taking the x's into account for 6 numbers total. That is too low for an A1 as far as I know.

"A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"

b9904
    (10/22/02 8:56:04 am)
    Additional Info:

i'll include the info's on the mag maybe this will give us some help

19200-
    ASSY 5506894
    MFR. 1M291

b9904
    (10/22/02 9:27:03 am)
    my god... as i browse thru the links its seems the gun is a.... FAKE! or Refinished!

it has a tight fit... tighter than my fathers Taurus... but... the gun cant possibly be built during 1918!!! or is it?

i'd better write to colt... my god! im gonna bleed money on this one.

Edited by: b9904 at: 10/22/02 10:36:21 am

b9904
    (10/22/02 9:35:50 am)
    on second thought i'd rather not... it's just TOO expensive.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/22/02 10:18:14 am)
    Re: Colt Goverment Question
    I wish I knew more about them to help you out. Good luck with it.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/22/02 11:24:48 am)
    Give us the serial # again. ALL the digits, just X-ing the last three....1234XXX.

To tell an M1911 from an M1911A1, go here: usgi1911.tripod.com/1911-1911A1text.jpg

If it's an A1, it wasn't made until after 1924.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/22/02 12:20:42 pm)
    If you paid $400 for it you can't go wrong, really. Even if it is a parts gun...so what? Sounds like good parts! If you were lookin' for a collector, you ain't gonna find one for $400. A sweet earlier one may cost you nearly ten times that much.

Shoot it and enjoy it!!

b9904
    (10/22/02 5:20:32 pm)
    guys,

thanks for the replies.

here is the serial number again.

3548XX

but.... the features one the gun doesnt match with the serail number... i mean it has ONLY 6 digits.. thats... 1918 - 1919.... but there is a M1911A1 mark...

man, thats wierd.

Edited by: b9904 at: 10/22/02 6:28:36 pm

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/22/02 7:06:22 pm)
    Yup, b9904, you are right.

I think you had just better send that puppy to me. No sense in keepin' it around your place...might make you worry too much.

I am startin' a home for old 1911 style .45s. Just think, you could have the HONOR of being the first person to place one in a good home. That's a warm fuzzy, no?

Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office

b9904
    (10/22/02 7:42:10 pm)
    boomatic:

HELL NO!

I'm gonna keep the gun... after i pay for it that is.

b9904
    (10/23/02 2:40:19 am)
    guys,

i edited my post regarding the description of the gun.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/23/02 6:50:46 am)
    Sounds like either an arsenal redo of an earlier gun, or one that has been assembled from parts. Either way, not a bad price for a good shooter!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/23/02 7:28:49 am)
    Yeah, I'm coming to the same conclusion as Bob.

The serial # says it's an M1911, but the markings say it's an A1......strange. However, even it's a rework or parts gun, if it's in good condition, it's gotta be worth 400 bucks as a shooter.

Buy it......then we can figure out what it is.

FYI.....at the beginning of WWII, the Gov't reissued a large number of 1911s they'd put into storage after WWI. Some of these were reworked into A1s.....that is, shorter trigger and arched mainspring housings....you could tell them by the lack of a recess behind the trigger guard, but I didn't think that they added an "A1" onto the model stamping.

I've only seen one of these 1911 reworks that I know to be genuine. When I served aboard a Navy Fleet Tug in Newport, RI, we had 8 (I think) 45's aboard. We were issued these when we stood gangway watch or made a mail run.

I was helping the GunnersMate clean them one day, and I noticed they all said "Model of 1911A1" execept one Remington that said "Model of 1911", and he told me all about the WWI guns that were put back into the system.

Edited by: Xracer at: 10/23/02 8:43:41 am

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/02 12:50:23 pm)
    Echo, echo, echo...

b9904
    (10/25/02 8:29:15 am)
    Reply thanks all
    guys,

thanks for the info you've all been very helpful

b9904
    (3/7/03 11:54:33 am)
    Hey guys,

i now have pictures for my colot in my web page.

here is the add(this is my web page): www.face-pic.com/b_9904

go to the "my pics" options.

b9904
    (3/8/03 8:54:56 am)
    Reply the pics
    ey guys,

the link i posted above woudnt be showing my gun pics... damn... the administrator deleted them... sigh...

just email me if you wanna see them

b_9904@yahoo.com
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2003