Colt gun question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by pdbsa, Aug 4, 2007.

1. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

i have a colt made 1911 .22lr conversion its blued and not new in box. Its on a aluminium frame that is complete with all parts and colt internals. what is this gun worth?

thanks guys
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

i don't have a dig cam so i had to find a pic and i don't have the colt 45 1911 sadly
  3. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

pics of my gun

Attached Files:

4. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

pic1

Attached Files:

5. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

pic2

Attached Files:

6. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

pic3

Attached Files:

7. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

pic4

Attached Files:

8. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

the gun has a steven's adj which mean that it had to be made in 1938-1947. its an RMT frame sadly but the small part like the hamme and safety are not . the hammer looks like the colt hammer of the war time era anyways please help me if you can

Attached Files:

9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

What you have is just a Colt conversion unit (.22LR) that someone bought a frame for so they did not have to chage out their .45 ACP pistol. No more, no less. The conversion kit is what is sought after by collectors. I have one too. You will never find one NIB however. So depending on condition, I would guesstimate that the conversion alone is somewhere in the $350-$450 range. The frame is a crapshoot and does not figure in the price.

Years ago Colt made their Service Ace pistol (complete). These pistols today are >$1200, if you can find one.

I cannot tell by your pictures whether there is a "floating" chamber on that pistol. This would be an insert that fits in the chamber and causes the gun to recoild as a .45ACP round would do.

IPT
  10. pdbsa

pdbsa New Member

i don't really know much about colts, this is my first one. but let me show you what makes my think its worth alittle more than 3 or 4 hundered bucks. look at the marking on my gun and the others. ou will see that from the 1940's to the 1950's colt fliped the sides of the slide markings, so my gun is early than 1950's. On the post war ,war, post war time kits you will see that it looks just like my gun. The only difference between the post and pre/war time kits is the barrels, i don't know if this mean anything but when you look at the pics you will see why i keep posting about this. i know that the frame with everything in it(trigger, hammer, safety, etc.) is worth about 100-125 bucks thats great but who cares. It seems people are selling the gun that i have for a good amount of money and i just want to what i have. There is no question that i could say that this is a S 70 colt 1911 22lr conversion kit and sell the thing for 350 but thats not what my gun is so i don't know.

post-war 1945-1949
    http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=8037

1950's
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/97690355...ls/Colt_22_Conversion_Unit_Early_Post_War.htm

pre war/war time 1938-1945
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/97690751...tic-Pistols/PRE_WAR_COLT_CONVERSION_UNIT.htm#
  11. 191145A1

191145A1 New Member

Well, you could keep it as-is for a great lightweight .22, keep it in case you got a pre-war Colt .45 which would make a great set, or break it down and put the complete upper w/magazine, bare frame and all frame parts separately on the gun auction. If I did this, I would place a fairly high reserve on the upper and see how it goes - that way you don't give it away but you see what everybody else thinks its worth. Anything pre-war is desirable, and if I saw it I would probably bid on it. The frame of course would have to ship to an FFL, and the frame parts would need to be analyzed to see if any of them are vintage M1911 or M1911A1 parts or Colt marked, which would bring more. It's always a big decision on whether to break something like this down or not, but in truth hardly anyone would be interested in it as a complete .22 pistol; they would be after the upper and magazine. A collector might take the slide and magazine off, sell the rest and look for the correct original box and papers for the conversion kit. If it were mine, I'd keep the slide and mag with my 1953 Government model even if its not the exact right time frame for it.

ETA: In reading back over this, it sounds like I'm fishing to buy it, which I am not. Just trying to illustrate how the conversion kit with the right .45 increases the value of both as a set.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2007