Colt is being sold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lead, Feb 4, 2006.

1. lead

lead Well-Known Member

check out www.michaelbane.blogspot.com (It's the Thursday, Feb. 2nd report)
    Michael Bane is host of Shooting Gallery, one of my favorite shows on the Outdoor channel, so I trust his reports.
    The military side of Colt is supposed to be sold to General Dynamics, the commercial side to another company, yet to be announced!
    I hope it will turn out good for future Colt production. Let's all cross our fingers.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  2. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

First Winchester now Colt....If all of the firearms MFG. go out of business in America and world war falls upon the eath again (God forbid) do you think we could get the Chinese to make our arms for us?? Just a tought :cool:
  3. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

No big surprise. After all...Winchester: no new designs in years. Just rehashed variations of the 94 and 70. Colt: no new designs in years and they drop 1/2 their catalog. Gotta keep up or fall aside.
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I doubt it. It'll be China we're fighting in WWIII.
  5. buck45hd

buck45hd New Member

This is my first post on these forums and I think this is a good topic to start off with. Im only 21 years old but the Colt and Winchester sales are a sad sight for me too see just as many others here on the FirearmsForum, an excellent site by the way. I've been around firearms literally my whole entire life and one of my favorite rifles is and has been the Winchester Model 70. The sale and closing of the Winchester plant marks the end of this gun and the Winchester era. I treasured what both Colt and Winchester stood for as a superior quality AMERICAN made firearm at somewhat affordable prices. The made in the USA stamp was always a draw and its sad to see the times change to a day where that will no longer hold such an esteemed value. I admit there are quality firearms manufactured over seas such as Benelli and Brownings still but can we still allow winchester to hold the same respect they once did if they go to Belgium and begin importing them back to the US? So thats the question i pose to you the readers ? Where the hell do we turn to now ? or do we shrug it off and go on hunting and shooting as if these two names never existed ?
  6. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Years ago Colt basically ignored the civilian market and went all out for military contracts. During that time their quality control was zero. They have never been quite the same since then.
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm trying to remember.... US Repeating Arms Co. was actually owned by whom?
    An outside of this country interest... no?
  8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Colt actually thumbed it's nose at the "Civilian Market" and even signed on to many of the anti's "Common Sense" restrictions....I think it's come home to roost...

Even though Dr. Colt was more of an actual designer than Oliver Winchester ever was, he TOO would understand the "business..." heck, he went bankrpt several times too...

But don't worry, you WILL see the "COlt" name again, just as we all will see "Winchester" again too...as sure as the sun rising tomorrow.

It just won't be as we've known them recently. Who knows, maybe they will come back BETTER.

It's Free Enterprise at work, and after all, we don't have new Hudsons or Duesenburgs today either...
  9. If somebody does buy Colt, maybe they'll bring back the Detective Special (and drop the 1911 line). Just kidding, just kidding! :D :p
  10. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Buck45hd, welcome to the forum.
    We all hate to see a classic go by the wayside, but Colt sure hasn't done much to court us lately.
    Mossberg, Ruger, and Savage are still American companies. Henry is a great American company too, and S&W is back in American hands. Who knows, maybe there is some innovative gun lover like Bill Ruger out there now that will start the next great American gun manufacturer. Let's hope.

edit; I forgot Marlin(Marlin, please forgive me!). Who else am I forgetting?(Jennings doesn't count :p )
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  11. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Well if Colt does come back they could always make a Glock copy like the rest of the major manufactures. :eek: :p :D Just joking!!!
  12. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Didja' ever notice how much MONEY all the "Great" American companies like Winchester, Remington, and Colt made on BROWNING designs?

Let's see...1911, and how MANY "Colt Pocket Autos?"
    Model 1893, 1897, Model 11, Model 12, anybody got any more to list?
  13. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

:cool: Held a brandy new Rem O/U 12 gaga yesterday (Read Russia-Baikal?) sigle trigger ejectors raised vent rib, an a gadget that switches witch way U wanna fire --top or bottom first decnt wood Retail at ma buddys shop $600.
    He say if Rem sales domt pikup, they R goin to MEXICO.

Mossberg isAmerican but not the new O/U made in Trky by Khan. comes in 4 flavors top 3 have screwin chokes 410 fixed mod & full . Held the lil guy an itz CUTE an seems fairly well made , vent rib walnut single trigger an retail here 4 $500. (in Joisey) ever1 wants Brn Lightning or a Citori at 3-5 times the $$?? I think the Mossy gonna B a mover.

Sure theres lotsa AMERICAN bilders, but most get kinda pricey cept mebbe Kimber (I got an Oregon 22 YO itz NICE)

todaze lesson now over, stay sober during recess :cool:
  14. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

IBT, you ain't lyin'!

Most of the American manufacturers are overpriced. Most of the reason is because they're OVERTAXED.

www.fairtax.org

Get rid of the IRS.