Colt M1991A1 Questions

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by trynagetaname, Mar 5, 2011.

1. trynagetaname

trynagetaname New Member

Hello, I just picked up this gun a few weeks ago and I have a few questions. I am looking to replace the slide on this pistol but I am having no luck whatsoever...does anyone know of a good website where they would still have these in stock? also, how would I go about re-furnishing the slide if it had some discrepencies?? would "parkerizing" fix this?
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Is this gun an old military gun? If so post up some pictures of all angles and markings. If it is newer gun I wouldnt matter so much if you re-did it. Ser#?
  3. RJay

RJay Active Member

The Colt 1991A1 was manufactured in - Long pause - 1991. Colt's attempt to lower cost on a basic 1911. A very good, solid firearm. Any standard 1911 slide will fit, or are you looking for an original with big 1991A1 on the side?? Whats wrong with the old slide?
  4. TheGunClinger

I didnt catch that 1911. I got M1911A1 on the brain.:D
  5. tech16024

tech16024 New Member

6. trynagetaname

trynagetaname New Member

Thx R Jay

The reason I want to change it is it due to blemishes and discoloring in the front part of the slide. It is hardly noticeable... but I am addicted to keeping my girls in top notch condition.
  7. trynagetaname

trynagetaname New Member

yes tech, that is it...but the slide doesnt say commander model.
  8. TheGunClinger

Why not take it to a good smith and have it re-finished if it is just discolored.
  9. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Or.............have a 1911-A1 slide fitted and in doing so eliminate the damned Series 80 firing pin block that IMHO makes the series 80 guns UNFIT for aything but target shooting. I am SURE I am gonna get blasted for this, but I think it needs to be said. When Colt added the Lawyer Safety to the already PERFECT 1911-a1 they created a possible fail-to-fire malfunction that has PROVED to do so, on a CLEAN GUN, PROPERLY MAINTAINED, by a number of LONG TIME LEOs who know their weapons and how to maitain em. Many of the regular posters and readers on here will "trade away" any semiauto that will stovepipe simply because there is a chance that, when the chips are down, a second shot will not be available. GUESS WHAT GUYS - if you are carrying a 1911 pattern pistol with a series 80 Lawyer Safety, you are carrying a firearm that MAY fail to fire the FIRST ROUND. Once in 1,000,000,000,000 trigger pulls as one too many.
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The firing pin blocked parts can be removed and a slot filler installed for $5. putting the pistol back to series 70 condition.

Now, I'd like to hear more about the " longtime LEO's" with the fail to fire malfunction. I have worked on the 1911 for many years and never even heard of " that " problem. I'll wait for your reply before calling BS as I don't want to appear stupid. Help me out here as I'm willing to learn. :)
  11. RJay

RJay Active Member

That is odd, the only complaint I've ever heard about the 80 series is that it makes it harder to tune the trigger ( never owned a series 80, so don't know ). I have never heard that it impeded the reliability in any way. So many things I didn't know that I didn't know:)
  12. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

In 1995, the later Chief of the local department, and a personal friend, purchased a series 80 to replace the series 70 he had been carrying for about 15 years - his intention was to go to stainless for maintenance issues associated with every day carry of his duty weapon. During his first qualification run with the ser 80, the pistol failed to fire 2 times. A return to Colt CONFIRMED that the series 80 firing pin safety was the culprit. Another officer in the same department who shot competively for nearly 30 years began to discuss the malfunction with various competitors at matches over the next couple years, and reported that 3 other competitive shooters he spoke to indicated that they were each aware of a similar "fail to fire" incidents in competition, all directly attributed to the ser 80 additional safety. You may feel free to look in the mirror and call BS all you want, I personally will never own a ser 80 nor will I ever suggest that anyone ELSE rely on one. Period. You can do whatever you want, thats entirely up to you. Just remember if you ever need to use your ser 80, the BS you step in MIGHT just be your own..........
  13. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

......oh and I am aware of the option of defeating the additional safety. I am not aware of any political subdivision that wants to shoulder the liability burden of permitting its personnel to carry a sidearm with ANY safety from the manufacturer deactivated. Personal carry is personal choice - duty carry is another issue all together.