Colt M1991A1 stainless questions

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Snakeyez77
    (2/20/03 3:15:48 pm)
    Reply Colt M1991A1 Stainless - questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all! I am going to a gun show that is coming to a nearby town this weekend with the hopes of buying a new Colt M1991A1 stainless pistol. I really want one with the new rollmark as seen at:
    usgi1911.tripod.com/series80/
    I don't know when Colt began producing these pistols with the new rollmark, so do any of you know when they started the new rollmark? Also, do you think they will be hard to find?

Colt's website has the mfg. sugg. retail price at $800, but I know they aren't that expensive! I've seen them for sale NIB for $600 to $625 online. How much do you think is a fair asking price for one at a gun show? I really don't want to pay more than $625 before tax. Also, I have a Hi-Standard Sport King SK-100 .22 LR that is in great condition that I want to trade in towards the purchase of this new Colt .45.

Any advice on price and availability of the new rollmark would be great!

Thanks guys!
    Lance

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/20/03 6:41:08 pm)
    Re: Colt M1991A1 Stainless - questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Lance, is your HS a 6.5"? I love those.

As for your question...I hate to see folks trade at gun shows. 95% of the time you lose money unless you are really seasoned at bargaining. Your HS ought to be worth about $250-$275, at least in my area. A new rollmark stainless 80 should be about $575 or less used.

As for when they started the rollmark...??? Xracer or Shooter45 or one of those guys who are way smarter than me will have to answer that one!
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*
    Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/20/03 6:44:19 pm)
    Reply Re: Colt M1991A1 Stainless - questions
    I have seen a few of these pistols around. Price was $625 - $650 in my area. I think the new rollmark has been used for a little over a year. Good luck at the gun show.

Snakeyez77
    (2/20/03 7:33:48 pm)
    boomatic, yes, the Hi-Standard I have is a 6.5" I've had it for many years, but right now I'd rather have a nice new Colt. If I can't get as much as I want for it, I'll keep it. If I can't get a new Colt for as little as I want, I won't buy it! If I had a buddy that had a FFL, I've seen many good deals online.

I was hoping I could trade my Hi-Standard and pay $325 to $375 more and get a new Colt M1991A1 stainless.

Thanks for your help!
    Lance

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/20/03 10:22:17 pm)
    See...shooter45 knows everything!

I'll amend to $575-$625 in my area. If I had any spare cash I'd buy you HS myself. Unfortunately, a little pocket auto beat you (me) to it. My wife only lets me get a new one every few months!

Good Luck at the show! We have a fairly large one here this weekend. Unfortunately, I have to work all dang weekend!!!
    Boom-a-tic

Snakeyez77
    (2/20/03 10:39:07 pm)
    boomatic, where are you from? I'm from Mississppi. The Great Southern Gun & Knife Show

www.neturf.net/gsgunshow/

is coming to Jackson, Mississppi this Sat. & Sun. It's about 1.5 hours from my house to the show, but I'm hopeful to find something. I'm seriously considering keeping my Hi-Standard if I find a really good deal on the Colt. I think I'd rather sell it to an individual anyway.

Do you think there is any price difference between a new-in-box Colt M1991A1 with the old rollmark and one with the new rollmark? Someone just told me that most M1991A1s found at gun shows are the old rollmarked models.

thanks again,
    Lance

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/20/03 11:27:29 pm)
    Just remember. It's only a rollmark.

Snakeyez77
    (2/21/03 8:31:40 am)
    shooter, yeah I know it's only a rollmark. But, I do already have a 1991a1 blued that I've had for quite a few years that was given to me as an early wedding present. That's why I want this new pistol to have the new rollmark, for something different.

Lance

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/21/03 10:53:29 am)
    Lance,
    I'm in Tulsa,OK...the gun show this weekend is one of our "medium sized" "Sooner" shows...about 700-1000 tables. Our big one, "Wanamacher" (thanks Joe) in in April and November/December...about 3800-4000 tables.

I have no idea how big your show is...but anymore gunshows have far fewer "bargains" than they used to. Things that are "new", as in new to the market (like new rollmark) generally are not a bargain and often are truly overpriced. I remember when CZ 40's came out and people were buying them up like crazy...prices skyrocketed at shows. After the fervor wore off, they were, and are, back down to original/reasonable prices.

So...I would say that you probably will find an old roll mark NIB for somewhat less, but not much. If it were me, I'd be lookin' for that series 70 anyway!!!!

If you have seen good prices online, from reputable sources, with reasonable shipping...I'd go for that. Most any gun store or pawn shop will receive for you as your FFL, for a small fee. My local shop does it for $15.

All of this is just my opinion, of course! Remember what shooter45 said...it is only a rollmark!
    Boom-a-tic