Colt Match Target Trigger Reset Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by SaddleSarge, Aug 24, 2008.

1. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

Greetings all. 1st post here and I look forward to the exchange of fellow firearms enthusiasts....sooooo here we go.....

I changed out the firing pin spring in my Colt Woodsman Match Target (3rd generation) after being apart for a long time in my gun safe. When I fired it, it chambered a new round but the trigger did not reset. I have taken it apart, cleaned, oiled, mumbled holy words, and it does the same thing.

If I actuate the action by hand, the trigger/hammer resets fine. I also noted that the trigger/hammer will reset before the action goes back far enough to chamber a round, yet won't reset after firing and chambering the next round.

I'm thinking the following: Firing pin spring too strong and/or sear spring weak?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SaddleSarge
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

SaddleSarge:

My guess is that since you had to take off the backstrap to remove the slide to fix the firing pin that you did not get the sear spring in the right location and the sear is not spring loaded. I would guess that in a static condition without firing that the sear is so balanced that gravity allows it to capture the hammer but under the violent action of recoil that the sear misses the hammer and it is not really cocked. Since the sear is not in the hammer full cock notch, that makes the trigger feel like it won't reset.

You might be able to verify this by hand operating the gun with the barrel pointed up and with the barrel pointed down. If it has the same failure, in one of those positions, to reset the trigger that you noticed with live ammo then the sear has not caught the hammer when the slide traveled to the rear. You can verify this premise by removing the right grip panel and observing the sear/hammer junction in the hole on the right side of the pistol frame under the top part of the grip portion of the frame. If you look closely you can see if the hammer is caught fully cocked by the sear or not.

This is of course only a guess but is at least worth considering.

LDBennett
  3. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

LD,

Thanks. I've checked the sear plate (spring) several times now and it appears that it is in position, but it also feels like the back strap puts a slight tension on the sear spring.(?)

I will try what you are saying about the positions/gravity...makes sense. That will be the tattle-tale I think.

Thanks for the reply. I'll post what I find out. I need to get it in working order as the cottontails are doing more damage to my horse pasture at night than when there are horses in it during the day!

BTW, is Papa's Pantry still there off of Bear Valley?
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

SaddleSarge:

Sorry but I have never heard of Papa's Pantry.

I moved to Hesperia ten years ago into a new home in a nice area where about 30% of the lots where occupied. This last housing boom filled in all of the Victor Valley pretty well and every lot in my two block stretch of neighborhood now has a house on it but for one or two lots. The rest of the Victor Valley got the same treatment. We have shopping centers popping up all over the place. We finally got bigger store to recognise that people actually live in the High Desert-Victor Valley Area.

But.... we got bad with the good. Brand new housing tracts, that mostly were bought on real-estate speculation have ended up in Section 8 (government rent subsidy to put low income people in better neighborhoods) where the renter brought along their gang kids (illegally). The high school for that area has gang and race fights regularly. The "quality" of the newbies in general was not all that good in some areas.

The bottom line is if you haven't visited for awhile you would not recognise the area, both for good and bad. I liked it as I found it 10 years ago but family keeps me here. The chances that a small business survived the growth when inundated by the big box stores and the current downturn in the economy are pretty slim.

LDBennett
  5. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

I'm sure you're right!! It used to be on the frontage road just North of Bear Valley Rd. and a MacDonald's was later built there on the West side and South of where the restaurant was or used to be. Oh well, wouldn't know how to get around there.

I remember back in the mid 60's when my Pop looked in Hesperia and said, "there is no way I'm paying $300/acre for sage brush!" I still tease him about it!