Colt MK IV Series 70 45 ACP US Customs Special Agent

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dmoze1, Mar 13, 2007.

1. dmoze1

dmoze1 New Member

I recently Purchase a Colt MK IV Series 70 45 ACP US Customs Special Agent USC 256. Serial number 74746B70. It has gold engraving on each side of slide. Picture is attached, sorry my camera phone was all I had to take the picture

It was a collectors gun never been fired except for maybe a test fire. Complete with colt wood storage box blue velvet lining. Great condition

I was wondering if you could tell me what is it worth. Paid $650

Can you tell me a little more about the history of this gun and date the factory made it

Attached Files:

2. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

For a series 70 shooter in that condition you paid the going price.

As far as its collector value I have no idea but if it is anything at all over a shooter then you got a bargain.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi dmoze1......welcome to TFF.

Well, first off, DON'T SHOOT IT! If you paid $650 for a New-In-Box Mk.IV Series 70 Government Model, you sure didn't hurt yourself! :)

Can't really tell from your photo if it's Blue or Nickel Plated, but the Blue Book value is:

Blue Finish in 100% condition - $1018

Nickel Finish in 100% condition - $1,100

My serialization list only goes up to 1978, but serial #s with a B70 suffex were made between 1979 and 1981.

Series 70s in high condition are among the most desireable of the modern Colt 1911s, and their value seems to be climbing at a faster rate than most other non-military 1911s. I'd advise you to keep it in the condition it's in and hang on to it. It can only go up in value.

Now, what's it worth?..........Hard to say. The values above are for "Plain Jane" Model 70's. Yours is obviously a "presentation piece". That can make it more valuable, but at the same time, a bit more difficult to sell. Engraved and personalized presentation pistols are pretty much a niche market......so I really can't give you a value beyond the Blue Book value above.

History? Your guess is as good as mine. I suspect it was presented to a Customs Agent at retirement time.....but who knows? You could get a Colt Historical Letter to find out how it left the factory ( http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/historical.asp ) but they're quite pricey, and I doubt if the gold plating and engraving was a "factory job".

In any case, you got a helluva bargain.....keep it and enjoy it! :)
  4. dmoze1

dmoze1 New Member

Thanks for information now I know I have to put this away in closet.

I appreciate your reply Xracer.

Thanks

Darrol:cool::cool:
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Think I'd stick it in the gun safe myself.