Colt MK IV-Series 70

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TomSwift, Nov 13, 2006.

1. TomSwift

TomSwift New Member

I inherited this gun from my father. I know next to nothing about guns. A relative is interested in buying this gun and I am willing to sell, but am looking for an idea of a fair price.
    Colt MK IV-Series 70
    Govt. Model
    9 mm Luger
    Model 1970
    Serial # 70G27264
    The gun appears to be new in the box and I doubt it has ever been fired.
    Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
  2. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Sounds like a beautiful firearm. Don't sell it. Someone will be along soon to help you with a value. Keep it and pass it down.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Tom.....welcome to TFF. :)

Hmmmmm......something doesn't jibe here. Are you sure the caliber is 9mm?

Serial# 70G27264 would be a Mk. IV Series 70 Colt Government Model manufactured in 1972 in .45 ACP.

If it were made in 9mm Parabellum (Luger) the serial # would have a 70L prefix.
  4. TomSwift

TomSwift New Member

I'll have to double check it. I looked at the gun at my mother's house and I thought it was a .45 but forgot to write down the info. I called her back when I got home and she read me off the info. and said it was 9mm. If it is a .45, what would be the approx value?
  5. Xracer

OK Tom. If it's a Mk.IV Series 70 in .45ACP, Blue, New In Box (never fired), the Blue Book value is $1,020. If the box is the early two-piece type, the value is $1,110.

The value is the same for either .45ACP or 9mm......but if it's a 9mm with a 70G serial # prefix, I don't think it ever came from the factory that way, so it wouldn't be NIB.
  6. TomSwift

TomSwift New Member

Thanks Xracer, I will double check it. I will try to post a picture (if I can find my digital camera which I have misplaced). I can't swear that it has never been fired, but if it has it was only a couple of times.
  7. TomSwift

TomSwift New Member

I stopped at my mother's to look at the gun again. The gun is definitely a .45 caliber. My mother was looking at a paper in the box that listed all of the versions of the gun and had the 9 mm listed first. It is in a two piece cardboard box, the lid of which is covered to look like woodgrain and "Colt" stamped in gold lettering. As I said, it looks new, but I can't swear its never been fired. Is there any way to tell?
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  8. Xracer

If it's only had a few rounds thru it and was carefully cleaned and oiled afterward, it would be very hard to tell. And......I'm not sure whether or not Colt was still test firing each gun in the '70's (I know they did pre-WWII)

Does it appear to have any wear on it at all?
  9. TomSwift

TomSwift New Member

Not that I can tell from a casual look. As I said, I know virtually nothing about firearms, but I appreciate the replies. I'm thinking I may not sell this piece after all.
  10. Xracer

Good idea Tom. Everybody should have at least one M1911! :D
  11. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Wow, X, is that REALLY the book on a Series 70?

Who woulda thunk it back in the mid 80s...I "brokered" one that my buddy bought from my boss to use as the basis for his Nastoff 6" comp gun...NIB, unfired, he paid my boss $365....and my boss was HAPPY....

(And so was I, the original 5" barrel from that gun is currently residing in my own .45....I think I gave him $35 for the barrel, link, and collet bushing....:p )
  12. Xracer

Yup Polish.....Blue Book on a Mk.IV, Series 70, Blue, 100% Condition, is $925.

Add 10% if in NIB condition, 20% for NIB with early two-piece box.

Those Series 70's just seem to keep goin' up and up and up!
  13. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

You know, there are some people who think the Series 70 was the LAST great "Colt .45 ...."

And I tend to agree with them....;)
  14. kalash

kalash New Member

i agree with it being the last great 45, although, ive got a freak of a series 80 that im having a hard time parting ways with.