Colt MKIV Series 80 Colt GOVT. 45

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/3/01 8:23:55 pm)
    Reply Colt MKIV Series 80 Govt. 45
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay - I am treading new waters here. I have an out of the box new Colt MKIV Series 80 Government Model 45, that is tight and shoots excellent groups. Now, my pistol shooting talents are marginal at best since my vision has gone downhill, but I was just wondering - will this pistol be worth more over time left in original condition, or will it appreciate in value better if it is slicked up, tuned up, and turned into one of your honkin' racer competition pistols?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gunny6
    (9/3/01 8:29:37 pm)
    Reply Re: Colt MKIV Series 80 Govt. 45
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Leave it as is....the market is plum full of hacked on, wacked on so called custom 1911`s...Old John got it pertty much right back in 1911...just my 2 cents worth...

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/3/01 8:35:11 pm)
    Bob, I can't tell you on this for sure, but I just did the full combat deal to a Gold Cup NM Series 70 and I wondered the same thing.

Here is how I rationalized doing it. I decided to do it because my GC had been shot a fair amount, the blue was worn from holster wear and it just didn'y have what I would consider collector appearance. And I wanted a shooter and this is a good one. You collectors want something NIB or damn near it and I don't blame you.

Who knows what a modern firearm is going to bring in the future as a collectors peice. Good Luck.

Spanish Cruffler
    (9/4/01 5:30:46 am)
    Yeah - I kinda like it the way it is. I love to shoot other folks tricked out pistols, but I think I will leave this one alone.

gunny6
    (9/4/01 10:23:12 am)
    Good choice..look and see what box stock 70 series pistols are selling for.......

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/5/01 1:05:10 am)
    Re: Colt MKIV Series 80 Govt. 45
    ooooh... I'd keep it as new / original as possible

Now that I've shot the hell outta mine - 17years of use, and mods:

Rich