Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless .380 ACP - U.S. PROPERTY

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bigeste1, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Bigeste1

Bigeste1 New Member

I inherited a very interesting Colt .380 Hammerless Type V. I found the exact gun on the Colt website, but am interested in finding its value, and possibly who owned it.

Link to the website -
    http://www.coltautos.com/mmusp380.htm

It is in excellent condition, has the original finish, and is stamped M 137840

US Property with original Walnut Grip with Gold Medallion. This pistol has the late ordnance wheel stamped on the left rear of the frame, behind the thumb safety.

This gun has the "M" stamp preceding the serial number on the frame and on the toe of the magazine, which indicated that it has been either issued from the factory with or sent back to the factory for modifications to the ejector and magazine to correct a problem that caused a stovepipe jam.

Any info would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Big E

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Sorry, I can't open your pics.
  3. J_S_GR

J_S_GR New Member

Your attachments are in .txt format. You need to either convert them to .jpg/another picture format or just upload to a website like imgur.com and post the links.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

There are no official records that would identify who the weapon was issued to unless it was a General Officers gun, in which case his name would be inscribed on it.All individual issue records are " local or unit records " and are not permanent records. The records are destroyed when obsolete.. Sorry about that.
  5. Bigeste1

Bigeste1 New Member

6. kcomqg

kcomqg New Member

cant help on value but you have a very nice little gun
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I'll let some one else work of the value, but in my opinion that gun was never issued nor used. At one time you could find them like that. A great find.
  8. DonaldofVirginia

DonaldofVirginia New Member

Please call me to discuss. I collect these pistols and can shed some light.

Don
    703-887-9906 (Cell)
  9. popgun

popgun New Member

$750 IMHO
  10. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Popgun, I hate to disagree with people about values because I don't know much about them, but if this gun is what it is said to be - a minty 380 US military Colt - $750 sounds quite low. People seem to ask more than that for minty plain-civilian models. There is, of course, a big different between asking and getting.

A few years back, a man named John Brunner published a book about these classic Colt 25/32/380 automatics. I believe it included an extensive list of what Colts had been issued to which officers.

Just my $.02.
  11. popgun

popgun New Member

:D
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012